32. take a breath

Y/n POV:
"Alright, favorite movie. Go!" Nicole straightens her focus on the road while she flashes a goofy grin.

"It's got to be Titanic." I widen my eyes in shock as I shift my gaze over to Cameron's serious face. My hand rests on the back of my seat as I look behind me and grin at the brown haired boy.

"You're kidding. Oh my god, you have to be kidding," my head tilts back in laughter. He just shakes his head.

"What? It's the best love story of all time. Well maybe Romeo and Juliet, but still, it-"

"I'm not listening to one more word, dude. Y/n, your turn!" Nicole's hand swirls in the air.

"Toy Story. One hundred percent."

She places her hand back on the steering wheel.

"I highly agree."

Cameron's expression shifts to one of defense. "Seriously? I'm the only one?"

"Yeah, I mean other than thirteen year old girls and forty year old women, you are." Nicole and I snicker in the front seats while Cameron is left, shocked, in the back.

"I feel attacked." Cameron's jaw clenches, "all because I like the Titanic!" He gives us a fake look of denial. Nicole snorts while I let out a laugh in the front seat.

"That is all your fault, Dallas." She points out.

Nicole's car rolls across a bridge above the ocean. The blue support beams speed behind us as we go faster and faster. The sky turns a light shade of pink. I turn up the song connected to Nicole's phone on the radio.

"The Moment" by Tame Impala blares over the car's speakers. It feels like I'm in a movie.

The sunrise reflects over the ocean and makes a gleam across the car window. I smile as the sky gets brighter and the clouds become a light shade of purple. The glare over the car windshield becomes larger.

It's getting closer•

"Cam, Nicole, look at the sunrise!" I grin.

Cameron's lips mold into a smile and his eyes light up. Nicole looks over at the sunrise and I watch her eyes fill with brightness.

I look away in front of me and see our car slowly swerving to the left, towards other cars.

Towards the other cars.

Don't cry, we'll be okay•

"Nicole! Focus on the road!"

She looks back at the pavement ahead of us.

"I can't see anything! The sun is shining in my eyes!" I look to the backseat. Cameron sees what's going on and his features fill with worry.

The frantic boy leans forward and shoves the wheel back to the right to save us from hurting ourselves and others. The car swerves to the edge of the bridge. It hits the rails. The rails push the the interior of the car in towards me.

I get trapped in.

Closer, I'm not ready•

I let out a shriek of pain as our car flips over the bridge. We're free falling.

"We have to jump!" Nicole opens her door on the side of the car opposite to me and Cameron does the same.

"Y/n! We have to go!" Cameron's voice echoes through my head. I almost pass out.

"I can't! I-"

The car hits the water.

Closer, I need a little more time•

I feel the car's interior crash against me as I fail to get out.

My car window breaks. Glass shards scratch my face.

I try to get out of my seat. This wastes all of the air that I have left.

I choke on the water around me.

I lose my breath. My vision becomes blurry as I struggle to become free from the car. I breathe in more water. My vision becomes darker. I feel pressure on my head from how deep the car is sinking. My vision goes black. There's no air around me.

•Breathe if you can...•

──── ────

Cameron POV:
I reach the surface of the water and gasp for air as I watch Nicole appear next to me. I smile, ripping off my wet shirt so I could float easier without the extra weight added.

She's okay.

I look around Nicole, realizing that something's missing. And that something that's missing is terribly wrong.

"Nicole..."

She focuses her eyes on me and I can tell she's confused.

"Where the hell is Y/n?"

Nicole widens her eyes and we both go under the water, looking for our friend.

I see a dark figure tens of feet below us, sinking faster by the second.

The car.

I glide farther down, getting a headache from the pressure of the water around me. I reach the car. Look through the broken window. See Y/n, lying unconscious in the seat. She's stuck.
I try to pull the parts of the car pushing in on her away.

I start to run out of air.

I punch the parts that slammed in. Over and over. Punch after punch.

Y/n comes loose and I pull her out of the window. I start to swim up with her.

I run out of air.

I use every bit of my energy left to drag her to the surface and over to the shore next to the bridge. My shaking arms pull her up next to me, immediately starting CPR. Nicole arrives next to me.

Every single breath I get, I give to her. After what felt like hours, I watch her wake up, choking. I breathe, for the first time. My vision gets lighter.

But then it goes completely dark.

──── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ────

Nicole POV:
Y/n wakes up as I watch Cameron lean back on his elbows next to her. He lets out a sigh of relief and gasps for air before he collapses. His light brown hair, darker from the water, flattens against his head.

"Cameron!" I run to him, tears spilling down my face. "Cam! Please..."

Y/n opens her eyes, rid of the water that had previously filled her lungs. She looks at me, then at Cameron.

"What's.. Cameron? What happened to him?" She rushes over to us, already crying like me. "Wha- is he okay?"

I check his pulse.

Nothing.

──── ────