30. running

Y/n POV:
The first few moments of wheeling away from my dreaded house was exhilarating. My wheelchair swiveled down the hills in my neighborhood as if it were a roller coaster. the suitcase attached to the back handles of my chair added weight and speed to my ride. Hearing my mother's screams behind me, I rolled faster. Her screams brought a thought to my attention:

What am I going to do now?

What am I supposed to do when my mom pulls up next to me in her car just a few minutes from now? I'm not getting caught trying to run away without earning myself a few scars. God, I won't leave the house for years. How am I supposed to get out of reach from her?

Just as that thought passes my mind the roar of an engine behind me shatters my eardrums. I stop pushing my wheelchair with my arms. My fingers graze against the metal of the wheels as they come to a stop. My hair flows down after being pushed back from me speeding away for so long.

I wince and brace myself for the physical and verbal abuse that I know is headed my way after my guardian catches up with me.

The tan SUV that I expect to see isn't the car that's there, though. I sigh in relief. Instead, there is a sleek dark grey Range Rover headed my way. A boy about my age with chocolate brown hair and sunkissed skin sits in the driver's seat. His eyes lock with mine before he flashes me a broad smile. His white teeth gleam in the windshield of his car. I've seen his face before, but I don't remember when or where.

The boy slows to a stop right before me. He pulls his sunglasses down to the bridge of his nose. His eyes are a deep brown color. The familiar face winks at me before pointing in my direction.

"Y/n, right?"

I tuck a piece of hair behind my ear. "You've watched my channel?" I question, wondering how he knows me.

"A few times." he tips his head back, sliding his sunglasses back up to his eyes. He tilts his face towards me, popping the gum in his mouth. "What are you doing in Philly?" He asks quickly, making it sound like a statement and not a question.

"Running away from my house, apparently. Running away from my mom." I look down and shrug, not knowing whether or not I should tell the full story. I look back up at the boy and see his smiling face.

His expression becomes dramatic. "Sounds like a real four-year-old mental breakdown. Want to talk about it? A little therapy sesh?" He brings his elbows upon the window of the car, propping his face on both of his hands as his lips grow into a toothy grin. A light chuckle escapes the boy's lips.

I lay back in my wheelchair, grabbing onto the spokes of the wheels so that they don't roll. A sigh exits my mouth as I laugh a bit. "My life is a mental breakdown."

The boy just then looks at my leg, seeing the large portion of it that's gone. He widens his eyes before hiding his concern and grinning.

"Do you get a lot of sympathy gifts? Muffin baskets?" He gasps, pressing his hands to his cheeks and opening his mouth in an o shape as he pinpoints the exact thing that I get way too often.

"Way too many." I point my finger at him, looking straight ahead of me. He smiles. I look back to him as he runs a hand through his hair.

"If there are any extra blueberry ones, you know who to talk to." He makes sure to emphasize the 'any,' a complete look of seriousness filling his features.

"Will do," my lips spread to a thin smile.

The boy sticks one of his hands out, ready to shake mine in a joking fashion.

"Cameron. Need some help?"

──── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ────

"Okay, so you're telling me that you're running away from your abusive mother?" Cameron's voice is filled with concern as he looks at me for a second to make sure I'm okay before looking back to the road.

"Yeah. It's weird saying that out loud." I start laughing as Cameron hisses in air through his teeth.

"Y/n, this is a big deal! Be serious." he starts to laugh but tries to hide it.

His smile becomes duller as a thought enters his mind. "In all seriousness, though, where are you going to go? I mean, you're welcome to stay at my place, bu-"

I cut him off, smiling at the thought of Grayson. "I have a boyfriend that I want to surprise. I haven't seen him in months. Thank you so much for asking, though."

Cameron looks to me, then back to the road, then back to me. The last time he looks over, his face breaks out into a large smirk.

"Oh HELL yes. I gotta meet this guy."

I dissolve into laughter. "Honestly? You two would love each other. I think that he would find you hilarious because when you're talking you just go on and on and o-"

Cameron juts his arm out to my side of the car, molding his finger into a point towards my face while still keeping his eyes on the road. "I feel very offended, and I obviously disagr-"

I let out a giggle. "Don't try to argue with me on this subject, Dallas. I find it quite rude that you would just-"

"Stop right there. We do not use mean words in the vicinity of this car, especially the forbidden r-word. You just broke one of the laws of my car. Three strikes and you're out little miss r-word. I will dump you right on the street. I'm keeping your wheelchair, too." Cameron's face turns to a sour expression as he tries to conceal the laugh that will most definitely come out.

I scowl jokingly. "Try me, bitc-"

"NO! No, no, no! That is your second strike. Clean up your act!"

I raise my eyebrow in a sly grin. "Cam, I didn't say the full word. So technically, I didn't curse, so I don't deserve the stri-" Cameron's palm is pushed in front of my face.

"Shut up. Don't talk. I can't deal with you real now. I can't even."

"Weirdo"

"Hey!"

──── ────
Added Cameron to the
story and I'm kind of excited!
Writing this I thought of him
acting as he did in expelled haha
(If you remember that movie than
you can be my best friend)
──── ────