13. lights out

Y/n POV:
We continued to collect as much fruit as we possibly could hold in our arms and trudge back to our "area" in the sand near the plane.

The sand in the cuts in my foot started to bug me more and more, because I could feel the grains of it dig deeper into my skin with every step.

The cuts on my face didn't feel amazing, either.

Grayson got a couple of scratches on his foot too, so he knows what it feels like. Lucky for him, and unlike me, he has a bandage wrapped around it.

I shuffle tiredly back to the berry bushes to grab more fruit. The walk through the moss feels great. It almost feels as if the sand in my feet was being pulled out by the soft material.

We took a shortcut to the trees and bushes because we didn't want to walk the long way for the same amount of food.

Guess what that amazing path had to be made of?

Rocks, sticks, and sand.

My foot is killing me, but thanks to the moss, I have some relief.

I reach over to the bush on the far right, making sure I weave my hand through the thorns so that I don't prick my arm on them.

After that, I finally pick off a couple of the sweet strawberries, one of my favorite foods even before we got into this crash.

I grab the lowest peach that I can find off of the tree above the strawberries, which is the only piece of fruit in the trees that I can reach.

I sink my teeth into the soft skin of the peach and instantly feel refreshed. This is the best thing I've ever eaten.

That might just be the hunger talking.

As the sweet juice spreads across my mouth, I imagine life back in LA, sitting on my counter, drinking coffee, scrolling through my phone in the morning.

What were my friends doing? Did they know that Grayson and I were here, alone, waiting for someone to help us? Were they worried about us?

God, what about Grayson? Ethan must be worried sick!

Ethan POV:
I'm starting to get worried. Grayson's never been this distant. He's always right there, to answer your question, to cook his distgusting food for you, to make a corny joke.

Is he mad at me? Did he miss his flight or something?

He won't text me back, making me even more uncomfortable. I slump down in a seat at the counter top, wondering what I could have possibly done wrong.

Did I say something? I just talked to him and that girl. Y/n was her name, I think. Oh no.

Did he run away with her? No, he wouldn't do something like that. And she seemed really sweet, at least from what I saw.

I frown, my eyebrows furrowing at the though of Gray being mad at me. I'll call him again later.

I grab the TV remote and lazily press the power button, waiting for it to turn on. It goes on to the news, with an image of a pretty nasty plane crash on the beach.

I go to change the channel when I hear the reporter say something.

And here we are with the latest news; American Airlines flight 367 has crashed on an island that nobody has even heard of before. So far, there are no known survivors, and no way to get into the area without running into the mountains or the sharks surrounding it. According to them, it may take months for them to figure out a safe way to enter.

I feel bad for those people, they must've been so scared. Wait-

Flight 367... flight 367..

I feel like I recognize the ring of that.

I look online at the website Grayson ordered his plane tickets off of.

Flight 367, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to Los Angeles, California.

No f*cking way.

I check the news headline again.

367.

Grayson, my best friend, could be dead.

Grayson POV:
Ethan probably thinks I'm dead. I'm worried about him, he can do some pretty dumb stuff when he gets anxious.

He's been an addict to alcohol, if he goes back to that I don't know what I'll do. All I know is that Y/n and I probably aren't getting off this island any time soon,

so I need to take care of her.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to know that she's the stronger one, that she has more physical and mental stamina than me. She might even be the one taking care of me.

Y/n POV:
I wonder how long we're going to be here. Grayson said it wouldn't be a while, but who's going to believe that?

The peach is so good that I want to eat it all right away, but I savor it. I finish my delicious peach and I'm still hungry. If only I could just reach the one abov-

"BOO!"

"Holy-" I jump away in fear as Grayson appears next to me, laughing. He's holding a coconut in his hand with a straw sticking out of it.

Where did he find a straw? On the plane?

"Ok, that was kind of funny," I laughed, "but I'm still mad at you for doing that."

"I can take that," Grayson replies. "I brought a bunch of fruit back, but I also got some fish," he adds.

"How? I didn't even see any when I tried to catch some," I said, jealous that he could do it and I couldn't.

"They were just there," he shrugged.

"Well we need to get back to where our stuff is so that we can get dinner ready," I pinch his cheek. I start to walk away but I turn back to him before I leave.

"Oh, and can you grab a peach for me?"

******

We got back to our "camp" with me triumphantly smiling, since I got a ride on Grayson's back.

"Ok, let's get a start on food," I rub my hands together eagerly, making Grayson laugh.

All of a sudden, his warm smile goes flat, and he has a confused look on his face.

"Yeah, we need to.. to do th-"

He collapses in front of me.

"Grayson!" I scream, tears forming in my eyes.

"Grayson!"

No response.

──── ────