20. life and death

Y/n POV:
I see that I'm on the cliff from the island. I hear the water churning around me.

But I don't feel it.

I don't feel the breeze. I don't feel the water splashing my legs.

The helicopter came earlier to pick Grayson and I up. Why am I still on the island?

The rocky land under my feet gives me cuts, stinging my feet the second the corner of a rock slices through my skin.

But I don't actually feel it. It doesn't hurt me.

I want to jump. The urge to land in the cold embrace of the water below is eating at me. I want to jump but I can't move. It's like I'm weighed to the ground.

But I still go off the cliff.

I'm about to hit the water. About to be cradled by the comforting waves. Any second now, I'll hit the water.

I brace myself for the impact.

There is no impact.

Now I'm in a chair in the middle of a dark tunnel. There's two openings about 20 feet from where I am on both sides. The light from outside is being shown through them. It's almost an artificial light, a pure white color. Almost too white.

I look over. Stella and Lola are there. My two best friends from Philly. That's not possible. They died in a car crash in 2015.

"Y/n?" They say in unison, voices laced with excitement.

"Oh my God it's been years," I breathe out, a smile forming on my face. I'm completely in shock. How are they here? "Come over here."

They walk towards me, the sounds of their shoes clicking on the concrete floor. Lola comes first and Stella walks over after her, saving her from running right into a clear barrier in between us.

"We can't come to you. You need to come to us," Stella explains, gesturing her hand towards them. "Join us."

Luna walks over to them. Luna.

"Hello Y/n," she says in that same giggly voice of hers.

"Luna!" I exclaim. "Did you get to see any dolphins?"

"Yes! There's so many!" She grinned. You'll see them too if you join us," She reaches her hand out so that it could just reach the barrier, waiting for me to grab it.

I could be with all of them again. Maybe if I just walked-

"Don't do it, Y/n," a voice full of worry said.

I know a voice like this one, but it doesn't sound the same. I turn around to see Ethan.

"Don't go. We're all here for you," he added.
"We all need you here."

I turn around to look to my friends and Luna.

"Stay with me, Y/n. I need you." I don't even need to look over my shoulder to know who that is.

"Grayson," I smile and let out a sigh of relief I didn't know I was holding in without even turning around. With him around, I instantly feel safe.

Looking at the girls in front of me, I see the looks that they're giving me. Come with us, they say.

I turn around to Grayson and Ethan. All I can see in Grayson's eyes is pain and worry. Ethan is mouthing "please" over and over. I observe that a large tear slides down Grayson's cheek as his lip quivers.

Even with this, I can tell they are trying to be stronger for me. They know that I could make any decision. I know that they are definitely more scared than they're acting.

I walk two steps toward Stella, Lola, and Luna. Lola smirks as I do that, thinking that I was going with them. Grayson lets out a sob of defeat.

"Sorry," I apologize to Lola as I turn and run to Grayson. I jump into his arms, tears rolling down my cheeks. Everything is okay.

"I have you back. I have you back," Grayson repeats, cradling me in his chest.

"Forever," I reply.

I chose life.

I chose Grayson.

──── ────

Bright lights stab my eyes. An IV full of yellow fluid is connected to my arm.

There are get- well cards.

Everywhere.

I start to panic as I realize where I am. Am I okay? What happened? The heart monitor starts beeping faster and faster.

What hurt me? Beeping faster now.

Is Grayson okay?

That thought sends flurries of beeps from the monitor.

A nurse runs in, clearly flustered. Seeing me about to have a panic attack, she tries to calm me down. She tells me what happened to me at the island, trying to calm me down by filling me with information.

Yeah, tell me my leg is bitten off. That'll ease my mind.

When none of it was working, she asked me what I was so worried about.

"Grayson... is he okay?"

"I'm sorry, who?"

"Grayson... Grayson D-Dolan.. is he okay?" I repeat, stuttering.

"Oh, yes, he's fine. I'll go get Mr. Dolan. He'll be right over."

I thank her and wait with a smile on my face.

I hear crashes, like someone is running into something.

"Hey, you cant do that here!" The nurse yells.

"Too bad!"

Grayson.

I watch as he sprints into the room, stopping and staring at me for a second while he's breathing heavily.

"Y/n" that angelic voice breathes out.

"Grayson."

"Do you know where we are?" He asks.

"Well I see the IV, I see the cards, balloons... aha!"

"What did you find?" He laughs.

"We're in Disney Land," I joke.

"You get your leg bitten off and you still like jokes," Grayson laughs to himself before pulling me into his warm embrace.

──── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ────

"So how long have I been out?" I question after hearing about my coma.

"About a month," Ethan says sadly, "it almost killed Grayson."

"It's okay now," Grayson reply's, looking into my eyes. "You're okay now."

Ethan and Grayson explained everything to me earlier, but the doctor tried to explain what they were doing to help me.

"So, Y/n, you're leg has been bitten off, but we are making a prosthetic in our lab right now. It will be out soon, and you will be walking in no time," the doctor says to me calmly.

"So I get to be part robot?" I ask. Grayson chuckles beside me, shaking his head.

"Yes, you get to be part robot," the doctor laughs. "I'll check up on you soon." And with that he walks out of the room.

Once the doctor leaves, I cry. I cry because I lost my leg. I cry because I will never be the same again.

"Why me, Gray, why me?" I ask, my voice filled with sorrow.

"I don't know Y/n, but I'm here for you no matter what." He says.

"I-I love you," he adds.

My heart melts.

"I love you, too."

──── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ────