34. kisses

Nicole POV:
After waiting for another three hours, the doctors in Cameron's room say that I can finally visit him. Y/n isn't awake yet, but they assured me she isn't hurt. All I want to know is if Cameron's okay.

The door to his room is almost menacing, like if I go in everything is now going to hit me. The fact that my car just flipped off of an actual bridge and the fact that two of my friends could have been dead from it. I'm going to see the injuries that I probably could have prevented. Those injuries could have easily killed anyone. But they didn't kill Y/n and Cameron.

The clean, lustrous gleam of his hospital door shimmers in the building's white lights. It changes where the light reflects as I push it open, just enough so that I can walk in. I almost feel small compared to it.

As I make my way into Cameron's room, I see him laying on a hospital bed full of nightmares. Two tubes run from his chest on either side to a machine. IVs are sticking out of him everywhere. His heart monitor is beeping regularly as far as I can tell, but he isn't awake yet. I assume that he'll wake up soon because I was allowed to visit him.

I slump in a red hospital chair and put my head in my hands. Sitting there next to Cameron's body feels like torture. Why couldn't it just have been me instead?

My chair squeaks against the ice cold floor as I move it next to the bed. I clasp Cameron's cold fingers in mine and rest my forehead on the side of the bed. I let a single tear fall down my cheek. One. Any more and I'll break.

His hand is unmoving, until all of a sudden it starts quickly wavering up and down. I look up from the bed and see that his whole body is shaking. The heart monitor starts beeping ten times faster than it was before, and I watch Cameron's head go back in pain as he continues shaking.

Doctors rush in and push me out. I beg to stay with him, to hold his hand, to let him be okay. They make me sit in the waiting room once again. I rub my hands over my temples and, try as hard as I can to listen in to the room. The first words I hear crush me.

He's seizing!

I immediately let out a sob and sink further into the seat right next to the room. He's. Seizing. The chances of him dying are almost twice as much as they were when this didn't happen. If my driving had been just a little bit better, just a little bit, he could have been saved from this.

Charge to 350... clear!

Why was I the one that didn't get hurt? Why did it have to be Y/n and Cameron? She's been hurt enough already. With the island, losing her leg, leaving the love of her life, I just don't get why she had to almost drown. And what I've learned while knowing Cameron for just a little bit of time and spending the whole night with Y/n and he is the fact that I really don't think that he deserves to get hurt.

After some time, the doctors come back out. Their faces show sheer disappointment, and I already know what's coming.

"Cameron is dead."

But those words aren't the words that come out of their mouths. Instead, they fill my heart with joy.

"Cameron is about to wake up. He's might want to see you"

I jump up from my chair and start to push the cold metal door to his room open. I push the door open all the way. Cameron looks twice as hurt as before. The bags under his eyes have darkened, and his eyes themselves look black. They don't have the warm brown color to them that I fell in love with.

"Cameron?" No response but a slight head nod.

I take a seat in the same chair I was just in, having the same position. I let another tear slip.

And I break.

Sobs escape my mouth as the hand that I'm holding gets warmer. I don't even realize. Tears trickle down my cheeks as the fingers start to move. I don't notice. I breathe heavily and the hand that I'm holding squeezes mine. I do notice.

"Nicole?" His voice is just a hoarse whisper. I jump up and get him water, which he drinks thankfully. I sit on the side of the bed.

"H-how do you feel?" Another tear falls. He wipes it away.

"Like I just died." he laughs, shaking his head.

"Twice." I correct him. We both chuckle.

"Why did you come to my room? Is Y/n supposed to be waking up soon? Is she okay?"

"She's fine, Cam. I wanted to see you." My smile widens at the fact that he woke up. He really woke up.

"Really? Wow, I feel like such a fuckboy. I just lay here in my hospital bed and I'm still getting girls." He grins, rubbing his eyes with his left hand.

"Shut up," I lean in and press my lips to his. He immediately kisses back. Our lips move together in sync.

I still can't get over the fact that he really woke up.

──── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ────

Y/n POV:
My eyes open slowly as the light from my hospital room flickers above me. I drink some of the cool water on the table next to me and look around my room. Through my open door, I can see Nicole and Cameron kissing in the other room. I immediately smile.

"Freaks!" I scream from my room, giggling. All they do is laugh and stick their tongues out at me before sticking their tongues down each other's throats once again.

I laugh as my doctor walks in the room.

"Dr. Avery?" I look up at him.

"Ms Y/l/n. It's great to see you. The hospital that you were closest to when you crashed was this one in LA, so I will be your doctor today."

"Alright. Works for me." I smile. He does the same.

"I came here to ask a question. Luckily, no damage was done to your leg in the crash. Do you want to continue with the surgery?"

"I, um.. Yes!" I didn't know what to say, because I thought that getting a new leg was out of the question after what happened.

"Great. I'll see you at 9:00 tomorrow? Y/n, try not to eat anything tomorrow morning until then, or we can't go through with the surgery, okay?" I happily agree right away as he walks out of the room.

"Nicole, Cameron, I'm getting a leg tomorrow!" Nicole jumps up and runs to me, leaving Cameron laughing on his bed.

"You what?" She asks.

"I'm getting a brand new leg, oh my god, I'm getting a new leg! I can walk, and dance, and run, and jump on a fucking trampoline! Okay go back to Cam for a minute I need to calm down." I beam, watching her smile and walk away. A thought circles my mind, and I immediately grab my phone and dial a number. The number of the person that I need to talk to for my whole plan to work out.

My phone rings as the call gets closer and closer to being missed. At one of the last rings, he picks up.

"Y/n? Why are you calling me?"

"Hey, Ethan. Don't tell Grayson I'm calling. Can you meet me Faith North Hospital?"

──── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ────