27. delivery

4 months later

Y/n POV:
"Ugh, I cant believe that she's moving in."

"I know, right? I can't even FaceTime Sydney without her being mad at me." I fall back from my sitting position onto the bed.

"At least you have a little while without her."

"She's coming in two days, Nicole!" I panic.

Nicole has been here for me ever since I had to move away. She keeps me distracted at my worst moments, and calms me down whenever I think of Grayson and give myself anxiety.

"Well then, I'll be on FaceTime that entire time to give you emotional support," Nicole shrugs as she lets out a light giggle.

"Please do," I reply, pouting.

My mom walks into the room, throwing a box at me as hard as she can.

"Why do you have something coming here for you?" She demands. I just give her a questioning look.

"I didn't order anything," I furrow my eyebrows.

"Sure. Sure you didn't. I'm going to the bar," she walks out of the room with a scowl on her face. I'm relieved. No hitting means that she's annoyed with something other than me, so that's good.

I give Nicole a confused glance as I hear the door slam shut. I tear open the cardboard box. There's something wrapped in brown paper, tied with a thin rope. I pick it up and read the words written on in a familiar handwriting.

For whenever you miss me.

Grayson.

I hold my hand to my mouth as I think about how much I miss him. My heart shattered the day I left, cutting me with the shards every day.

I peel off the wrapping paper delicately, keeping the handwritten part safe.

"What is it?" Nicole asks.

"It's something from him. Grayson," I answer, examining the disk after I unwrap it carefully. On the disk, there's more words.

I love you. I'll see you again, I promise.

I can almost hear his voice saying it. He doesn't know how much I wish I could see him, but i can't.

I sit there for a second, thinking of what Grayson could be doing.

"What did he get you?" Nicole's voice brings me back to reality.

"A disk!" I yell while I push myself around my room, looking for my computer. I search for it as frantically as I can before I stubbed my toe on the edge of it.

Alright, then.

I don't even care about the pain. I just want to see what's on the disc. It's from Grayson, after all.

"I'm going to hang up real quick. Call you back?" I ask quickly.

"Sure. Talk to you later!"

I hang up as I grab my computer and place it on my desk. My wheelchair rolls backwards as I fumble with the wheels.

I place the thin disc on my computer and watch as it starts spinning faster and faster. The metal gleams a rainbow color. After a little bit, the disc is just a blur. I sit there, grinning, as an image of Grayson and I comes into being on my laptop.

The next thing you know, I'm shown all of the memories that I will never forget. Pictures of us together show up all over the screen. Videos that have made me laugh in the past are present.

Somehow, these pictures and videos both warm and break my heart at the same time.

A tear falls into the smooth surface of my laptop while a picture of Grayson and I smiling at each other in the hospital comes onto the screen.

A laugh escapes my mouth as a video of Grayson singing plays, filling my room with noise.

I frown as a picture of me in my coma shows.
Grayson was the only one there for me.

My lips spread into a smile as a picture of us on the island appears.

At the end, there are eight pictures of us holding hands. Eight. The airport where we met. The plane. The island. The ocean. The hospital. The car. Grayson's apartment.

And a picture of me leaving, holding Grayson's hand as tears stream down my face.

Just seeing that picture replays the whole day for me. The amount of sadness that I had that day is unbearable.

I start to cry, pressing the palms of my hands into my forehead. The salty tears soak my hands and fall into my mouth. Why does this have to be me?

Why do I have to go through this? I had to leave the one person that actually loved me, the one person that I could trust, just to watch my mom become more abusive than she's ever been. And I can't leave, because I can't drive. And Grayson can't visit, because Ethan won't let him.

I begin to panic more and more until I realize something.

My mom isn't home.

She went to the bar.

I sprint over to my phone and turn it on, smiling at the background of Grayson and I. I immediately call him, pressing the phone to my head as the ringing begins.

Once, twice.

Please answer, Gray.

Three, four.

Please.

Five-

"Y/n?"

"Grayson!" I grin into my phone.

"Hey, how- how are you calling me right now?"

"Mom's not home. I saw the video," I say, "it's  beautiful."

"Thanks. You don't know how much I miss you," the last three words are all I think about now. How much I miss him.

"I miss you more," I frown, massaging my temples.

"I'm so happy you saw it. I just wish that you could come back," I could hear his sadness on the other end of the call.

"Me too," I respond, my light smile dropping to a frown.

"I promise I'll see you again. I don't know when, but I will. I'll find a way," he assures me.

"I know. If there's a way, we'll find it," I add.

"We have to," he responds.

The door opens and slams shut. My mom is back.

"She's back. I have to go. I love you," I knit my brows.

"I love you more."

──── ────