Chapter 5

A/N I'll be mentioning the word "Super-ego"
Just so you readers have a better understanding the 'super-ego' is a theory in which this part of a person thinks only about what's good for the person and what should occur to replicate the normal everyday society. I'm other words, the sensible, realistic part of the brain.

Now to the story

Eventually, Todoroki climbed out of his blood and sweat stained bed and made his way to his bathroom. He didn't care whether it was half 3 in the morning, he needed to clean himself up and settle his mind.

Blood was still dripping slowly out of his palms, causing the hero to leave a blood stain on his bath tap. Not that he cared that is - he deserved it for being weak.

Soon enough he stepped carefully into the hot liquid, ignoring his super-ego that was telling him to escape from it. He'd rather suffer. What else could he do?

The searing pain the water provided him relaxed him a little but it wasn't long before his closed eyes and slight blood loss were sending childhood memories flashing behind his eyelids. His mother's shaking voice, her dark, sunken eyes and the sound of a whistling kettle...

The next thing the boy knew was an unbearable pain spreading across every inch of his face as his mother launched scalding water at her youngest child, internally scarring him with a childhood trauma he wished was untrue.

At this point, Todoroki sat as straight as he could, eyes opened and his palms underwater whilst the blood dyed the liquid. All the boy did was stare. Stare at his own life essence staining the only thing that was practically keeping him alive.

However he had soon stepped out of the now red lake and was re-wrapping multiple, ice and fire proof bandages around his deeply cut palms.

After he'd slipped into some comfortable pants, he made his way to his room and began to strip his stained bedsheets. There was no point him going back to sleep now - he couldn't face that trauma again. Instead he did what he could to clean his house since it wasn't a particularly pleasant place right now. He continued to dust, wash and sweep his house until his work shift began.

~~~~~~~~~~

Todoroki was patrolling his usual streets, keeping the sleeves of his now freshly cleaned hero costume rolled down to hide his bandages a little better. He kept his head down, his eyes glued on his dirty, white boots until he bumped into someone, head first. He looked up, rubbing his head with his hand.

"I'm so sor..." He paused, seeing who it was he'd bumped into. It was the number 1 pro hero.

Midoriya wore his signature smile while assuring Todoroki it was okay and offered to patrol with him. Todoroki seemed hesitant at this. He didn't want the smaller boy learning of last night's traumas. He couldn't face him. He was the number 2 pro hero after all. He had to stay strong, not only for the citizens but for the other heroes as well.

However just as he was about to say yes, the question the news reporter had asked him echoed in his mind.

Is there something going on with you two? Are you going to be the first gay hero couple?

The taller boy's eyes drifted towards his colleague's face, to see if that would help but truthfully, all he saw now was the face from last night's terrors and traumas and the devil himself.

His eyes widened and sweat started sprouting on his forehead as last night's traumas were replayed in his head. His tired and distraught eyes were brimming with tears. He couldn't accept the offer. Instead he let out a whispered "sorry" before rushing off, away from the green haired hero.

The heterochromatic hero ran until his legs gave way and he collapsed onto the cold, concrete ground of an alleyway. He didn't want to admit it, but his emotions were starting to get the better of him. He still loved the boy. Despite his nightmare, despite his past traumas; he still loved him - and he wasn't sure where to go from that point in his life.

His head dropped into his hands and tears finally flowed out of his darkened eyes, his emotions lost in every solitary drop...