─ prologue.

every morning.

every morning she saw him sitting in that same seat. that seat right next to the window. and in his hand was that same cup of coffee. that iced americano with two pumps of sugar cane.

strange how they had never spoken, but this line was engraved in her mind.

maybe it was that lonely aura of his that drew her in.

whatever it was, it caused her to become more and more curious. and eventually her curiosity would get the best of her.

but until then, she would stick with her observations.

every morning she would watch him walk in, order the same cup of coffee, and sit in the same seat.

doesn't he get tired of the same things? she would always giggle to herself. she found it ironic, really. they did the same routine, but were so different.

she always came in at the same time, and ordered the same thing,

"one mint frappuccino, with whipped cream please!"

then she would walk to her normal spot, and proceed to finish as many assignments as she could before she had to go to school.

she never saw where he went after the coffee shop. she just knew they both left at the same time, and went off separate ways.

i wonder what his name is, she tapped her pen on her chin, only to realize that she had been staring at him for too long again. he looks like a chestnut.

"mint frappuccino for moonie?"

she got up, walking towards the counter, her signature smile greeting the worker, "that'd be me!"

the worker smiled back, because yue's smile was just so bright that you couldn't help but do so.

"extra whip," the girl winked, "just how ya like it."

"and sprinkles? aw, thank you."

"of course, yue," she grabbed the cup beside her, "could you also do me a favor?" chaeun, the worker, pointed at someone behind her, "could you take this coffee to that boy over there? he has his ear phones in and i don't think he'll hear me if i call out his drink."

"sure!" yue chirped, grabbing the iced coffee in her hands. she read the cup,

'iced americano w/ two pumps of sugar cane,'

she blinked.

that sounded awfully familiar.

as she turned to see who would be receiving the drink, her eyes widened.

it was the quiet, chestnut looking guy.

maybe this could be my chance to meet him, yue thought as she walked closer. she stood above him for a good minute, and he hadn't looked up once. she stood like that for another moment before deciding that he might've just had bad peripheral vision.

yue waved in front of his face, and he finally took out one ear bud.

deciding this to be her invite, yue plopped down in the seat across from him, also setting his drink down in front of him, "one iced americano with two pumps of sugar cane for..."

she trailed off, squinting at the label.

he swooped the cup up and took a slow drink from it. in shock, yue watched him quietly. after releasing a quiet sigh, he plugged his earphone back in.

she got up slowly, that didn't go as planned.

"don't feel bad," chaeun tried to console her, knowing that her ego had to of been dampened at least a little bit by the cold encounter, "he's always like that. everyone who's tried to make conversation with him has always gotten shut down, just like you."

"i just thought- i thought he could use a friend," yue frowned, perching her chin on her palm.

"some people just don't appreciate nice gestures," chaeun pinched the younger girl's cheek, before walking back to the register, "cheer up! there are plenty of other brooding-looking boys who will gladly let a nice girl like you be their friend. just cause one person doesn't want to, doesn't mean it's the end of the world."

yue nodded, but still couldn't shake the feeling, "maybe i'll just try again tomorrow."

she smiled, watching as he collected his things. he swung his bag into his back, and left at his normally scheduled time, 8:10.

"yeah, i think i will."