─ thirteen

december 31, 2017

"does this look alright?"

yue turned to her best friend for his approval, and was satisfied when he gave a nod.

"so tell me again why we can't hang out tonight?" kai asked, perching his chin on his hands as he laid at the edge of yue's bed.

yue chuckled, "i didn't say we couldn't; i said i was taking beomgyu to the city to see the lights, and you got mad because it wouldn't be just you and i."

kai sighed, because she was right. it had always been kai and yue. yue and kai. he liked it that way. he didn't want to welcome change; though he knew he wouldn't have a choice. it was inevitable.

"so what? who even is this beomgyu guy?"

"why, you jealous?"

kai scoffed, "of course i am. he's taking you away from me."

yue cooed, before lightly pinching his cheek, "no one can ever take me from you, ningning. remember our pact? you're forever in my heart."

kai nodded, though he still grumbled a bit under his breath. she smiled as she checked the time, "ah, it's almost time to leave. are you ready to go?"

"yeah," he stood up, straightening out his outfit, which was just black jeans, a yellow sweatshirt, and a denim jacket.

yue tsked, throwing a black scarf at him, "you're going to catch a cold in this weather wearing that. take this at least."

he rolled his eyes, following the girl out of her apartment, and down onto the street.

"i've never really even met this guy. why are you making me hang out with him?"

"just trust me, okay? he's nice."

he remained quiet until they finally met up with beomgyu, who had waited for them at the corner of her street.

"hi, beomnamu!" yue excitedly greeted, waving at him.

beomgyu nodded, beginning to walk ahead of the two.

"yeah, real nice," kai snidely commented, following after him.

by the time the three showed up to the site where the new year's celebration would kick off, the sky had already taken on a dark color, and the cold had gotten worse.

"the fireworks should be starting soon! let's go get seats in the front!"

yue skipped ahead, plopping down on a seat in the aisle. the only problem was that both beomgyu and kai went to sit at the seat right next to her.

beomgyu looked at kai, as if he was daring him to take the seat; kai reciprocated his stare, crossing his arms.

"the shows gonna start, sit!" yue pulled beomgyu into the seat, leaving kai to sit on the other side of him.

"ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls; welcome to our annual new years celebration! our firework show will be up first, so please bring your eyes to the sky and bask in the moment."

a big boom could be heard by everyone, causing most people to jump. yue looked up at the sky with her mouth wide open, a face she made no matter how many times she had seen the magical lights.

"wow," beomgyu heard her whisper, even through the loud and repeated explosions above them.

his eyes made their way to her's.

"aren't they great?"

"amazing."

and even with all the lights, all the fireworks, all the people; he thought she truly was the most fascinating of them all.

-

i did not proof read and it is so late here pls don't hate me bc this is so ugly OOF