─ twenty-six

november 23, 2018

it was still dark by the time yue made her way down the sidewalk, on her way to school. the girl struggled to even keep her eyelids open as she shuffled along.

"didn't get much sleep, did you?"

she didn't have to look to know it was yeonjun.

"morning, jun," she yawned.

he wrapped a supporting arm around her shoulder, trying to keep her upright, "did you even sleep at all last night?"

she shook her head, sighing quietly. "it doesn't matter, though." she hoped he would get the hint and just drop the situation.

gladly, he did, and the two walked the rest of the way to school quietly.

"do you need help to your first class?"

"no, i think i can manage," yue chuckled, but he followed.

"hey," he poked her nose, "don't fall asleep in class, ok?"

beomgyu was almost around the corner, before seeing the two talking in the hallway. hiding back around the lockers, he tried to listen in on what they're saying.

yue giggled, his teasing bringing a small smile on her face, "ah, i won't. so go to class," she showed him away.

yeonjun walked away, his grin seeming like it would sit triumphantly on his face forever.

"oh, hey beomgyu," he greeted, knowing yue would be able to hear.

beomgyu, caught listening to their conversation, awkwardly nodded, waving as a response.

hearing his name, yue walked up just as yeonjun left.

"what were you doing?"

he coughed slightly, mumbling.

"what?"

"i was eavesdropping on your conversation."

a bit bewildered, she chuckled, "what?"

"every time you talk to yeonjun, i get jealous. and i don't think my actions through very well," he explained, "i'm sorry."

yue looked around, trying to process what he was saying, "what? why?"

"i don't know what any of this means. i just know that i don't want you dating or hugging another guy," beomgyu's feelings were tumbling out of his mouth in a landslide of bottled-up emotions. "one thing i do know is that i like the feeling i get when you smile at me."

yue's cheeks burned, her audible gulp being heard by the boy who stood over her.

"i like when you only look at me. so can you?"

beomgyu stalked away after a few moments, leaving yue to try and piece together what the hell he meant; because in all honesty he had no idea either.

-

yue couldn't keep his mini speech from her head. it was only lunch, and already she lost count of the times beomgyu had crossed her mind.

what is he trying to say? she perched her chin on her palm, "does he.. like me?"

"does who like you?"

she almost jumped, placing a hand over her chest, "you scared me, kai!"

"what're you talking to yourself about?"

yue debated if she should ask, nibbling gently on her lip, "do you... do you think beomgyu likes me?"

exasperated, kai sat down his tray, placing his head in his hands.

"yue, i say this with love— trust me," he sighed, looking up at her, "but if you really have to doubt that he does, you're more stupid than i thought."