─ fourteen

january 16, 2018

where is she?

beomgyu tapped impatiently on the table as he took another glance around the coffee shop.

she always comes at this time, so why isn't she here yet?

just then, the bell above the door rung, and entered the smiling girl below it.

"mint frappuccino with whipped cream, please!"

chaeun nodded, beginning to prepare her order, as yue looked in beomgyu's direction.

he quickly turned his head, acting as if he was preoccupied with his drink. shrugging this off, yue grabbed her drink and headed over to their spot.

"hi," she beamed at him, taking her seat. "sorry i'm late."

he shrugged, "i don't care."

yue sighed, looking around awkwardly, "um. i might not be coming here in the mornings anymore."

this caught his attention, and he rose a brow inquisitively, "why?"

she shrugged, fumbling with her fingers and avoiding his eyes all at once, "it's nothing. i- i just can't come anymore." noticing the change in atmosphere, she quickly tried to lighten the mood, "ah, i don't know how i'll survive without my sweet drink," she took a sip, "i'll miss you."

beomgyu coughed, his cheeks tinging a rouge color.

"i was talking to the drink."

-

beomgyu walked slowly down the hall, alone. that's how it always was.

he liked it that way. people only wanted him for superficial things, such as his appearance and intelligence. so he preferred to be without their company.

yet that happy girl, with twinkling brown eyes and a warmhearted smile, always managed to sneak into his mind.

i wonder what class yue is going to.

he smiled softly to himself, she's probably struggling if it's maths. she doesn't like that class.

as he got to his locker, he realized he had been thinking of her again.

the intrusive thoughts of her had been showing up more and more lately. especially now that he hadn't seen her as much.

stop thinking about her. she doesn't matter.

as if on que, beomgyu heard her light giggle from down the hall, the airy sound gaining his attention.

"stop worrying about me so much, kai."

"how can i not worry, when you work yourself so hard every morning? what's so important about that park that you need to clean it every day?"

yue sighed. he wouldn't understand, even if she told him. no one would. so she threw up her signature grin, and closed her locker, "it's good for the environment."

beomgyu watched as they walked away, seeing kai sling a lazy arm over her shoulder.

he couldn't help but wonder what it'd be like to be that close to yue. to be able to hug her, and smile at her, like he does.

beomgyu groaned inwardly, hitting his forehead lightly on his locker door.

these thoughts were the worst for him, they caused him to hope. and he can't do that.

because hope was a cruel, unrelenting thing.

and would only cause him ache in the end.