─ thirty-eight

june 29, 2020

the two weeks had gone by in a flash. and within those fourteen days, three hundred thirty-six hours, and twenty thousand three hundred sixty-one, two, three seconds, beomgyu hadn't received a single text, call, or any method of contact from yue.

and it was eating him alive.

but he hasn't tried to talk to her either. he was trying to give her space; he didn't want to mess things up any further. but beomgyu knew that they wouldn't be able to avoid each other forever.

he began to lose hope though that she would even come as he sat in the airport with his parents, waiting for his flight number to be called.

-

yue hadn't been her normally cheery self, and most people had picked up on it— especially kai. he noticed the obvious split in his friend group, and he was determined to fix it.

kai knew beomgyu was leaving that day, so he came up with the plan to somehow trick yue into going to see him so that she and beomgyu could hopefully patch things up.

he knocked a few times, and the door to her apartment swung open, revealing a rushing yue.

"woah, wait; where are you going?"

"the airport, duh! beomgyu's leaving soon," yue rushed down the steps of her building, "are you coming?"

he tilted his head, raising an eyebrow, "that was much easier than i thought."

the two got into the cab that kai had hailed, immediately telling the driver which airport to go to.

even as they were walking into the large building, that was bustling with people going left and right, yue was rehearsing what she was going to say in her head. but all of it seemed to be forgotten when she looked up to see beomgyu staring right back at her.

he held his breath, thinking that maybe his sad mind was playing tricks on him. did she really come to see me off?

"hi," she stepped forward, reaching out to grab his arm, "can we talk?"

she did.

beomgyu only nodded, following as she pulled him to a spot away from his parents and their friends.

"are you okay?" she could tell he was holding everything in. that was typical beomgyu, though. he never showed how he was feeling, because he never had anyone to tell. but yue wanted to be that person for him; she didn't want him to be hurting in silence.

he wrapped his arms around her, sniffling lightly, "i'm s-so sorry, i should've told you—"

she shushed him, giggling lightly, "it's ok, gyu." she smiled, "it's fine, it's not your fault."

"so you forgive me?" he looked down at her with teary eyes, trying to hold himself together.

"i was never mad at you," she continued to smile at him, but something was missing. it wasn't reaching her eyes like it normally did, and beomgyu immediately noticed.

"what is it?"

"i just think.." she sighed, biting her lip, "i think we should maybe put things on pause."

not fully comprehending, he tilted his head, "what do you mean?"

"you're gonna be gone, and for awhile. maybe it's best if we end things while it's easier," she noticed the glazing over of his eyes, and immediately began to explain, "when you come back.. let's try again, okay? don't be sad," she gingerly wiped a stray tear of his, trying to smile reassuringly, though her teary eyes revealed how she truly felt, "it'll be too hard, and you should focus on your studies. i'll be here waiting for you, okay?"

his face remained stoic, though the wet and salty drops fell down his cheeks, "so this is goodbye?"

"of course not! cheer up! i'll see you soon, okay?" she remained optimistic only for his sake, and it was becoming increasingly harder the longer their departure extended.

"flight cl903 to london, england, now boarding."

"is that you?" she asked, hoping it wasn't true.

he nodded, grasping her hand a little tighter. he didn't want to let go.

"i'll see you later?"

beomgyu nodded again, not trusting himself enough to speak. she smiled, playfully pushing him along.

"if you don't go, you'll miss your flight!" she smiled, waving enthusiastically. as he disappeared, her enthusiasm disappeared, and she was tired. kai offered a supporting arm to lean on, yeonjun following close behind as he led her out of the airport.

beomgyu waved, trying to smile. i'm not okay. as she disappeared from his sight, his smile slowly dropped. but i'll come back, and then i will be. he wheeled his suitcases to the drop off area. i'll come back to you, yue. just like i always do.

-

oooooof

i feel like this chapter is crappy,,
oh well, it's almost the end guys 😔

i keep saying that but it really is almost the end and i sTILL CANT BELIEVE IT