─ twenty-nine

december 23, 2018

yue had always been the one that guys chased; she wasn't used to having to do the work. this is said as non-conceited as possible—yue just always had an admirer or two because of her naturally warm personality. so saying that yue sitting at her computer looking up ways to flirt with a guy was an uncomfortable experience was an understatement.

"have.. confidence?" her eyes skimmed over the words, her eyelids blinking rapidly in hopes for the burning sensation to go away. she had been sitting, looking at the screen for over an hour, and she had still come up relatively short.

'guys enjoy when a girl is confident. they find it alluring and sexy—'

"s-sexy?" she swallowed deeply, closing the lid of the laptop, "i think that's enough searching."

with the knowledge she had gained from her time surfing the internet, she figured she could make her own list up. yue grabbed a blank piece of paper, along with a black marker. along the top she wrote a title, as she nibbled lightly on her lip.

'how-to get beomgyu's love:
you can do it!'

she chuckled, before scribbling out the title, instead replacing it with one a little less dramatic.

'flirting 101'

what should number one be? she tapped the pen on her chin in thought, before an idea came to mind. her cheeks reddened slightly as she wrote,

1: be confident.

she giggled quietly, the ideas for her list flowing out before she could stop them.

2: compliment him.
3: be considerate.
4: make the first move.

the last one was written as a last resort—just in case if he hadn't gotten the hint yet.

checking the time, yue quickly grabbed her things, already knowing she was late. "bye, halmeoni!"

"have a nice time, and bring me back some popcorn!" her grandmother laughed as she watched the young girl scurry out the door. watching her had reminded the old woman of herself when she was yue's age. she smiled warmly, the adoration still lingering in her eyes even moments after the door had been closed and yue was gone.

it didn't take long for yue to make it to the school, the black-haired girl running into the gym. even though she was late, she still managed to pick up water bottles for her three friends on the way. she walked up the bench, tapping kai on the back.

"ningning," she whispered, and he flinched, flipping around quickly. yue giggled, handing over his water bottle, "where's yeonjun and beomgyu?"

"still in the locker room," he smiled up at her from his seat, "i'm glad you could make it, moonie."

the familiar nickname spread warmth through her chest, "you haven't called me that in forever."

kai smiled, ruffling her hair. "oh," he pointed, "there's yeonjun."

yue waved the water bottle at him as he walked towards the two, "here you go."

"how did i end up with such a caring friend like you?" yeonjun smiled, gently pushing on her arm.

yue grinned, "it's the least i could do."

looking over yeonjun's shoulder, yue could see beomgyu leaving the locker room, his chestnut colored hair already sweaty at the edges from warmups. his hair was pushed off his forehead in a headband, revealing more of his naturally flushed face.

yue would be lying if she said she wasn't thinking about how handsome he had looked then, in that moment.

"beomgyu!" she had yelled before thinking about it. he looked over at her, waiting to hear what she had to say.

remember— be confident. she raised her shoulders, slowly walking over to him.

"here's your water," she held it up, struggling to not break their eye contact.

he nodded, "thanks."

she smiled, "of course."

"also.." he eyed her up and down, "are you alright? you look a bit stiff."

dejectedly, yue let her shoulders drop, it taking almost everything in her to not heave a sigh.

"yeah, i'm fine."

she guessed she could cross number one off the list.