─ twenty

may 13, 2018

"hi! sorry i didn't answer your call, but leave a message and i'll get back to you as soon-"

kai pulled at his hair in frustration, this being the twentieth time he had called yue with no answer. she hadn't been at school all day, and her phone appeared to be off.

the worst part, was that she disappeared without a word. she hadn't told anyone where she was going, or why she had left. she just didn't show up; and that was very out of character for yue.

to say that kai was worried was an understatement. the poor boy was in hysterics, frantically asking around if anyone at school had seen or heard from her.

"yeonjun!" the older boy turned at the sound of his name, "have you seen yue at all today?"

he shook his head, "she didn't walk with me to school this morning."

sighing, he ran back to the classroom, knowing that one more person could possibly know where she was.

"beomgyu!"

the chestnut-haired boy turned, "hm?"

"have you seen yue? her phones off, a-and she hasn't been at school at all today. she's never done this before; what if something's wrong with her?"

"woah, woah, calm down," beomgyu processed what the boy had rushed out, hurriedly standing up, "i'll help you look for her."

they ran out of the classroom, and down the hall, both of them brainstorming places she could have gone.

"let's split up and look for her."

beomgyu headed towards their neighborhood, and kai started checking the areas around their school.

no matter how much i try to separate myself from her, i always end up coming back.

beomgyu ran up the steps to the cafe, looking into the window. his eyes didn't see her short, black hair, so he moved on.

where could she be?

as he walked passed the park, a sign had caught his eyes.

'closed for demolition. no trespassing.'

isn't this the park yue showed me?

he slid through the gate, walking towards the hill.

and sure enough, yue's lonely figure sat at the top.

"what are you doing here?" beomgyu asked, startling her.

her eyes widened at who it was, and she hid her face as quick as possible.

but he had already seen the tears.

"kai's worried half to death about you;"

she said nothing.

"why are you crying?"

"why do you care?"

ouch. he knew he deserved that one though. what he had said a few weeks ago was pretty hurtful.

"i'm sorry. i was having a.. bad day when i had said those things. i took it out on you," beomgyu apologized as he took a seat next to her on the ground. "now, what's wrong?"

"you saw the sign for the park."

she looked out at the unlit lanterns, thinking that this was possibly the last time she would be seeing them. and just that thought alone made her sick to her stomach.

"yeah. they're probably putting up apartments or something."

"my dad used to always take me here," she smiled softly at the memories that slowly resurfaced, each of them warming her heart one by one, "he and i were the ones that put up the lanterns."

beomgyu bit his lip, listening intently to her story.

"i guess i just never thought i'd see the park go." she shrugged, "it's stupid. don't worry about it."

"it's not stupid," beomgyu picked at the grass beneath his fingers, "your feelings will never be stupid."

and then it was silent.

when beomgyu moved to get up, yue stopped him, holding her hand out.

"can we just sit here?" when he didn't make a move to leave or sit down, she let her hand fall back to her side, "it's just comforting, is all."

-

there's a good chance that NONE of this makes sense lmao i wrote this at 3 am