Chapter 14: The Day Before the Escape

Dressed and ready to be caressed. My phone is charging. I'll check it after I clean up the house. Axel's door is open and I take advantage of it. Making his bed, sweeping the floor, folding his clothes.

Jeez what would he do without me? I'm not going to do this for him much longer. Especially when he's a teenager. Oh, I cringe at the thought of finding beer bottles and condoms. Yep, when he's older, I'm NOT going through his room.

There, it's so cute. His full-size bed with a Spider-Man comforter spread acrossed it. Dark blue curtains to match. I put the window up as well, air out his stinky habitat. When I'm finally satisfied with the work I've done, I check my phone. The are several unread messages.

Chenelle: Bitch when?!

Chenelle: I need to talk to you.

Chenelle: Like right now.

Each text sent right after the other. Too bad I kind of ignored it, but I was busy! No further messages or calls from Jason. Guess he got the hint. It kind of hurts seeing that he didn't send another one. Though it's for the best.

He probably only wanted to talk about how happy he is with Mrs. Big Boobed Blonde Bimbo. Well guess what? I'm happy for them too. Gross how he can just fuck me over like that. Literally fuck me and have an actual girlfriend!

Calling Chenelle, after the first ring she picks up. "Shit, that was fast." Sobbing answers me, concern fills me up inside. "Chenelle what's wrong?", semi calmly, also antsy. She sniffs, her nose stuffy.

"Jacob and I-got-in-a-fight." , each word spaced out with sobs to fill the gaps.

They fought around the kids? "Please tell me the kids weren't around." I'm trying to comfort her but my main concern right now are the kids.

"God Sydney what the hell do you take me for? I'm not a monster! The kids are at my parent's house." I close my eyes trying to suppress my anger.

Releasing a sigh, I begin to speak. "Ok, Chenelle I get you're upset, but tone it down. Now what happened?"

I hear an engine in the background, a door slams. Along the way I hear Jacob's deep voice through the speaker. "

"Get your ass back here Chenelle!" Screeching tires add to the mix.

"Don't worry Sydney everything will be ok. I'm on my way over now." She must have hung up because all that's left is the dial tone. Christ this is going to be a mess and a half. I'm always stuck in the middle somewhere.

Fifteen minutes go by, Chenelle has arrived. Without knocking she opens the front door and slams it shut, stomping over to the couch. Pulling on her hair in anger, she starts to cry again. Looking a mess, her hair in tangles, make up smeared. Nails are chipped, the polish tarnished. What the fuck is going on?

"It was bad Sydney. I never saw him like this." Hands depart from her nappy hair, wiping tears away. I walk over and sit down beside her. Patting her back the same way she did with me, when I had my meltdown.

"It's going to be okay, just tell me what's wrong.", calmly.

"It will not be okay!", she yells. I wince at the volume of her voice. "He threatened to take the kids if we left for California. Why can't I just be happy once? He's always gone, traveling for work. I never get a break. I'm always at home! The least he can do is let me live a little." She's breathing heavily as she explains their situation. I just sit back and listen, not wanting to ruin her train of thought. "I've never seen him so angry. He honestly thinks I'm going to cheat on him. Saying that since you're single that I'm going to go crazy over other men. How insecure is he? I love him! I could never cheat on him! Ever!"