Chapter 34: I Love A Rainy Night

Rain outside my window, but I wish it were him instead. Melting the dirt into a muddy pit and bad decisions. When I was just a child, a pond would form right in our front yard.

Without permission, I put on old clothes, granted all my clothes were technically old, considering they were hammy downs. Once I was prepared, I'd run outside and dance in the rain, slide and skip until my legs wore out. Mud covered me like new skin, I knew I had to do laundry.

People drove by, the neighbors gawked but I had no care in the world. The cold droplets hit my skin and I was determined. Determined to have a little ounce of happiness, to try and at least measure up to the bad, but it never worked.

When dad saw the mess I made, he made another, slapping my mother around for not watching me. Mud trailed through the house and yet it was my fault again. Rain was my happiness. Some of my fondest memories follow the rain.

Chad and I went to a carnival one summer. God it was so hot outside, my hair was longer than it is now, curled and frizzy because of the humidity. I still remember what we wore. I decided on a black shirt, so you couldn't tell how badly I was sweating.

My high wasted shorts showed off tan legs, I was so confident then, all because of the way he made me feel. He wore his cool solid white tee, a pair of shorts and sneakers. That boy was a looker, those emerald eyes, fawn colored hair, so many people turned their heads when he walked by.

We drove separately that day, since I just bought my first car. Saved up all that money from being a dishwasher, a job is a job, but that was pure stress. For a sixteen year old, I didn't need any more, from work, school, and then later, Chad.

Wouldn't you know, it was a manual and I didn't even know how to drive it. My dad never taught me, or should I say never wanted to teach me. Mom didn't even know how to drive a manual. So Chad did his best, and he did a good job.

He wanted to show off his Chevelle, probably to all the girls, but I was so oblivious at the time. When I pulled up to the carnival, the inductees were yelling, real assholes.

I had to drive into a field, might I remind you that I was still getting used to the car. I stalled, right in front of him, as he was instructing me to pull forward. I felt so embarrassed, he kept motioning but I had to start the car up and try again.

Fifteen minutes later Chad showed, my windows were down, basting in the heated sun. Sweat poured down my legs, pitiful. The man started yelling at Chad because he wouldn't follow his instructions. I couldn't help but chuckle, although I was pissed.

We walked around, didn't get on any rides, though I really wanted to. He bought us lemonade to sip on, cooling ourselves. Just to escape from the crowd, I spotted an old playground I used to walk to when I was younger. I begged him to come swing with me, which he obliged. We swung, carried on and laughed.

Kissing each other was so normal for us, we did it no matter who was watching. The sun started to set and rain started to drizzle on our skin. I muttered under my breath, because I wish it did that five hours ago at the time. My skin was covered in goosebumps, the chill of a rainy night settled in.

We jumped off the swings and Chad picked me up, giving me a piggy back ride. My hair was then slicked back, soft as ever from the rain. I suppose my weight didn't phase him, as we ran up a hill to his car. He put me down, then we ran with one another. Jumping over cones that were set up, splashing in puddles. People honked, others were mudding around us.

The rain was so heavy it started to hurt. After playing for half an hour, we got in his car to warm up. Just idling there, heat blasting, listening to the soft lull of Led Zeppelin, our favorite band. He pulled me in for a breath taking kiss.