Chapter 51: New Beginnings

So for some reason I was asked to strip down to my bra and underwear. Embarrassed, I'm not even wearing any panties. The parchment paper makes me nervous. Its rattling behavior causes anxiety to creep in. God I hate hospitals and doctor offices. The last time I was at either, was when I got the call. The call when my parents died tragically.

5 Years Ago

"Hello?" This better be good. An amazing kiss was just interrupted, so if this is a bill collector, I'm going to scream. I usually don't answer unknown numbers, but I didn't want the stranger to feel awkward if I just let it ring.

"Is this Sydney Jones?", A woman asks. Um. Yea.

"Yes. May I ask who's speaking?" The woman sighs. What is going on here? Why is she taking so long to answer?

"Ma'am my name is Dr. Kelley. I'm calling to inform that your parents have departed. They are her at the Coldwater hospital. I'm so sorry." What?!

I drop to my knees. Everything around me stops. They're- they are- gone? "Hello? Ms. Jones?" I feel numb, can't even cry. I don't know how to feel. Is this normal? I hang up the phone and get up. The stranger's mouth is moving in slow motion, but I can't seem to hear him. Shaking my head, I rush to my car.

Not even thanking him for welcoming me, noticing me, or to exchange numbers, I get in my Ford Focus and focus on the now, or try to. Axel is still at Chenelle's so I can go to the hospital.

Rushing there, I almost get in a wreck myself. I jump out of the car, not locking the doors or grabbing my purse. The rainy air smacks me in the face. Why? Why me? My parents weren't great, at all, but they don't deserve this.

I run to the nurse's station where I'm told to calm down. I frantically speak my situation, and I'm left with pitied faces. "Where are they?!", I scream. "What happened?!"

A security guard grabs me by the arm, but a male nurse puts a hand up. "Ma'am I'm so sorry, but you can't see them." He sees the pain and questions in my eyes. "They are too mutilated." Nothing. I can't feel a damn thing. Dad. Mom. They are gone. No more pain. No more screaming.

"A tractor trailer unfortunately ran a red light at the speed of 65. A head on collision, no one survived." The physical torture has ended, but I'll always have mental scars. The emotional abuse will always stay behind. "I'm so sorry miss. We'll be in touch for the arrangements that need to be made."

I spin around. Not answering, or looking at anyone else. I need to get out of here. The beeping, smells, faces, all of it too much. Crying patients, screaming doctors, all overwhelming. I need to drive, or walk, something to cool down. Eliminate these thoughts, I need to feel. But I've never felt anything, until the moment I had my son, because that, that feeling will never go away. Love.

Present

I didn't even realize anyone had walked in. A nurse, probably about mid-thirties, a paunch the size of a watermelon, maybe she's pregnant, introduces herself. Margaret, that's a pretty name, for some reason, it makes me think of margarine. She's most likely had a lot of that in her time, large Marg. Quit bullying her. Ass.

I shake the thoughts off and try to pay attention. "So what brings you in here today Ms. Jones?" Why is everyone reminding me that I'm not married? I tell her about the puking, and how I can't keep anything down. She types away at the computer. "When was your last period?"

Hmm. I haven't really thought about that. I mean considering, "I'm on birth control, so I rarely get it, if at all."

More typing. "Okay, we're going to do some tests. Blood work, to see what the issue is." Needles?! Fuck I hate those things! That's why I never got a tattoo! Anything sharp and penetrative, I don't like. Unless it's Jason penetrating me, that, I do like.