Chapter 45: The Feeling's Mutual

Time at last, he told me to go inside, which I obliged. I watch him out the window, leaned up against the car. His hand in his pocket as the other is holding the phone to his ear. Crossed legs, a pissed off look on his pretty face. Whatever the receiver said clearly upset Jason, considering he's pacing now. He trudges a hand through his brown hair.

Placing said hand on the trunk of the car, I wouldn't be stunned if he struck it with his fists. He leans over the car, on his elbows, rubbing the base of his neck. I don't want to prowl, but I want him to be okay.

He clearly needs space, so that's what I'm going to give him. Right when he removes the phone from his ear, he stares at it for a few beats. I know he hung up as soon as he places it in his back pocket. When he starts to walk towards the door, I run away from the window quickly. I rush to the fridge and open it, looking at the contents, acting like I need something.

Shockingly, he doesn't slam the door when he enters. I sneak a peak at him over my shoulder. A look of defeat, just as I have had before myself, many times. Life is a fucking bully; and it will beat you down until you can't take it anymore.

The suffering slowly becomes too much and a person caves into its disease, decaying away into nothing. Sometimes that's what I feel like, nothing.

I close the fridge without getting anything out. Then I think again and grab two beers. "You look like you need a drink Casanova.", I wink at him. He gladly takes the cold bottle from my hand.

I shuffle around for an opener, when I find it, I lend it to him. He shakes his head and opens it with his hand. All that work for nothing! Just kidding, I need to use it. My fragile hands have a hard time opening these bottles.

Jason tosses the beer back, chugging half of it. "We were suppose to do a cheer you asshole!", I tease. There it is. There's that smile I've been searching for.

He raises his glass and I do the same, "To us baby.", he speaks with a husky voice.

"To us.", I say before pecking him on his beer glazed lips. I watch him stare off into a place I'll never know. Breaking him away from that area, I cut in. "So...are you going to tell me what that phone call was about?"

He simply shakes his head as if it's not a big deal. Which it clearly is if he was happy one second, then mad the next. "Jason, maybe it'll be a good idea to just express what's clearly bothering you."

"Not right now babe!" He blows me off by walking back to the bedroom. I grab us each another bottle and march my way back to him. Thankfully he didn't lock the door. I walk in, and he stares at me. "Don't even try and patronize me right now. I swear I'll leave.", he threatens.

"Baby. It's okay, we don't have to talk...about that." I climb on the bed next to him and lay my head on his hard shoulder. He's already finished his beer, I hand him the other, which he takes. "Talk to me Jason." He starts to shift away. "I want to hear your sexy voice. Please tell me a story. Tell me about baseball.", I beg with shy excitement.

"Really? You want to hear about it? You never asked before. I figured your father ruined it for you, so I never spoke of it." I nod my head.

"He may have, but you resuscitated it. I want to have the same passion for it that you have. I'd like to bond more with you, and Axel. You're so focused and determined when you're in the game. I love that about you. So please, tell me about it."

He relaxes against the headboard. I get comfortable myself, sinking down to his stomach, where I lay my head. He wraps his arm around my shoulder and begins to draw soft small circle there. He runs a hand against his jaw, distant again, but in a good way. He shuffles through memories from over the years.