Chapter 55: Dream A Little Dream

The salty air wakes my senses, opening up my clogged nose. Laying on the heated sand, I watch my son play in the ocean. People pass between us, their bare feet sink into the wet cement. Holding hands, a perfect get away.

Children scatter around, building sand castles. My pale skin stands out from the common tanned folk. The sand sticks to my skin from the oily sunscreen I applied. Axel's has probably washed off by now.

He's due for another lather. I don't want to hear him complain when he's burnt. "Mom it hurts!" Well I told you to let me put more on you! Then he'll just roll his eyes and continue to whine.

The air is contagious, spreading to my mouth, I can taste the salty breeze. Licking my lips, grains of sand seep in and I bite down. The gritty texture horrid, but there's not much I can do, it's everywhere.

Seagulls spy on people, targeting their next victim. They plan to steal someone's food, as they circle the ground. Jet skis bounce across the waves, and boats motion their way through, passing by. Helicopters fly by selling advertisements.

A getaway, but what am I getting away from? I still carry my problems with me no matter where I go. My problems burn hot like the sun, staining my skin with its presence. I can feel that my legs are turning red.

Reaching for the sunscreen, I spot an older couple. The woman is fully clothed, no skin to be seen by the sun. She wears jeans and a long sleeve shirt. A hat to shields her face, sneakers to cloak her feet. The poor woman must be hot.

I'm hot and I'm only wearing a lace bikini. The couple seems to be content though, walking side by side. He helps her once they reach the wet sand. He holds her elbow and guides her along.

It's only my dream to find someone like that, to spend forever with. I lay down on the towel, covering my face with a tank top. I hear loud steps, warm drops of water are sprinkled on my sunburn. "Mom! Get in the water with me!"

I squint up at Axel. My hand provides a visor. "I don't think so Sweetheart. Not right now, go ahead and play. I might get in a little later." He groans then walks away into the sea of no end. The waves carry him, drifting away from me. "Only go in belly button deep!"

I lie back down, anxious to rest my eyes. Can I just fall asleep and forget the world for a little while? The beach isn't covering up any of my problems. The water washes away the lie that I'm telling. The one that says I'm okay; because the ocean and I both know I'm not.

Just a user, I'm using the beach to get over Jason, like a rebound. I don't want to stay forever, just to clear my head, to distract myself. The clouds begin to simmer over us, dark and gloomy like his eyes.

Everything reminds me of him. The rough sand is his hands, the warm water is his touch, I can see him in the sky. I can hear him through the whispering breeze.

If only he were here. I've never seen him in swim trunks, shirtless, walking on the beach, soaking wet with a tan. Blazing gray eyes watching me only, ladies would gawk but he knows who he belongs to. Me.

I would show off, flaunt my body around so he'd have to have his hands on me. He wouldn't let any other man look at me, but I would only want his eyes.

I would lick the salt right from his skin, steal his jealousy with a kiss. But he's not here, we aren't watching each other, nor together. I'm out of state, and he's in Joy's bed. Too busy watching her now, as she flaunts her elegance. He's going to have a tough time with that one.

I sit up, the hard ground making my back uncomfortable. I search the sea, but there's no sign of Axel. My eyes swoop from left to right, once more. I rush to my feet, worry on my face. I need Jason's eyes, to help me look. I'm on my own as my son is missing again. I attempt to flag down the lifeguard, but they're no longer here.