Chapter 58: His Presence Awaits

"I'm coming to your next appointment.", he says as he guides me into the SUV. His hand at the small of my back. "It was so fascinating, to see the little bud on that screen." I call her that too. Dammit, he has my mind set that our baby is a girl. "So precious. She's going to be a looker baby. All because of you." 

The ride is silent until we pull into my driveway. I turn to Jason, "I don't want you at the next appointment." He furrows his eyebrows, confused, angry. "You are not the father, and you already made your decision about us." I sigh, because I'm lying again. I want him there for me, for our child, as a family. "Thank you for saving me again. But I won't need anymore of your rescuing. I have everything covered." 

I reach for the handle of the door. "Just forget me. Don't even remember me as a bad memory, pretend we never happened, because it was never real anyway. Right?" Before he can move his sexy lips, I take one last inhale of his clean scent.

Staring at him briefly, I have to remember his beauty, because I'll never see him again. No more watching him on tv, I can't torture myself. I love you. Then I exit the vehicle. Not looking back, I carry Axel's present in my hands. 

Whatever is inside, is a tad heavy. The contents move around with each movement I make. My neck burns, I want to turn it, take a peek, to see if he's watching me. He used to chase after me, but we're past that now.

I go to unlock the front door, but it's already done for me. Twisting the knob, I let myself in. I know I locked it. Maybe Axel unlocked it and went outside to play. He's not suppose to be outside without me.

Walking through the house, the creaky floor boards fill the silence. "Hunny bun! There's a present for you from Jason." Huh...Nothing. Usually he would be charging out for presents. "It's freezing in here.", I whisper aloud.

I look to my right and see that the window is pushed open about six inches. I hurry and walk over to shut it, but when I do, I spot something I didn't expect to see, nor want to. Blood. There's blood on the sill, and on the white snow. Forgetting the window, I run back to Axel's bedroom. 

I don't even knock. I push through the door, hoping he's here safe. His blanket's trying to escape off the end of the bed, ready to jump. He's not there. "Axel!"

I look under the bed, not there. In the closet, not there. Searching through every inch of this house, I can't find him. My dream. It's happening. Something tried to warn me, and I ignored it. My instincts, I ignored them. 

"AXEL!" I hurry and run outside. Looking from left to right and back again. There's nothing, no movement. Only the swaying pine trees, and the whistling wind.

I should have forced him to go to that appointment. Either way I would have put him in danger. God. I'm a terrible mother. I race inside to call the police. 

When I enter, a piece of paper flies off the counter and lands next to my foot. A note. 'Don't even think about calling the cops. Or there will be more.' A tiny finger print of blood. Axel's blood. The tears attack, worse than ever. What do I do?! 

Going back on my words, I decide it's time to suck up my pride, and call Jason. Ring...Ring...Ring. He doesn't answer. I know I said some harsh words before my departure, but I need him now! 

Voicemail: "Please Jason!" My sobs interrupt me, but I fight back. "I'm sorry for everything I said. Just please help me! Axel is missing!!! I need you! Please forget every problem between us and help me! Help him! God Jason please, I'm begging you!" 

The voicemail kicks me off for the lengthy message. I call again, impatient. He picks up thank god! "Jason! Axel is gone! I can't find him anywhere. Please!"