Chapter 24: Never Again

Crack! The ball clashes with the bat and splits the wood in half. A home run for the opposing team. A player on second and a player on third. All three make it to home base. I hear the chanting from the crowd through the tv. Dad throws down his bottle of Vodka, glass shatters, colorless liquid pours out onto the floor. Another mess for mom to clean.

He stands, throwing the lamp at the tv, once he realizes his team lost. A spider web forms on the broken glass. "God dammit! Joann this is your fault! If you weren't such a nagging little bitch, my team would have won!" I stay seated at the kitchen table. Had just finished my pancakes for dinner, when dad points his finger at me.

"And you! You little runt, worthless! What the hell are you staring at? Huh?!" I couldn't help but stare. He was making a scene, the neighbors outside probably even heard. They never call the cops though. Cowards. Mother always told them not to, I don't know why. It would be better if he were locked away.

"Sydy! Get me another beer would ya?" Obeying, my feet still dangle above the floor, so I have to hop off to reach the bottom. The fridge is right there. Which is actually closer to him, but he's too lazy to do it for himself. My own mother brings food right to him, so he doesn't miss any of the game. She knows better because if she doesn't listen, a beating is what's in store.

I open the fridge scanning for the toxic carbonated drink. There doesn't seem to be any in view. I rummage through, searching for the beverage, please be there, I pray to myself. "What's taking you so damn long? If I have to come over there and get it myself, you won't see another day kid."

My heart begins to pound. Faster than when he forced me to run all those laps. I wince whenever he grabs ahold of my hair, throwing me on the ground. Landing on my back, elbows hold me up. He looks through the fridge and reaches towards the back.

"Right here is a beer you little shit. And it's the last one! Such a dumb cunt you are, must get that from your mother." The thing is, I'm not tall enough to see beyond the empty carton of milk. Even on my tippy toes, I still fall short. He walks over and stands before me, hovering above. I close my eyes as he lifts his hand and-.

"Douglas! No!" Mother rushes over. Pushing him away from me. My father didn't like that very much. Hand raised, he smacks her right on the cheek. Another smack, then one more. He pushes her to the ground, as she lays there crying. This is all my fault. If only I pulled the chair over and got the beer that way, this would have never happened.

My father clenches one fist, the other hand gripping her hair. "No! Please! Don't! No! Daddy! Don't hurt her!" He throws mom on the ground and marches over to me.

Gripping my shoulders tight, "You listen here you little bitch. Don't you ever interrupt me again.", through clenched teeth. He shakes me back and forth. "Sydney. Are you listening to me?! Sydney! Sydney!" He releases me, a grin on his face. Pop, the cap comes off and he takes a swig of his beer.

He goes to kick me on the side, in which he succeeds. "Ow, daddy you're hurting me." I cry out, all the emotions flee my body. Sadness, anger, confusion, so scared, what did I do to deserve this?

"Quit crying, crying is for the weak. If you keep it up, you'll meet the back of my hand." I wipe the tears away and rub they ache that won't stop throbbing. Dad chugs the beer, then throws the bottle at me.

Not thinking, I crawl over to where the broken glass is, and curl up into a ball. The glass scratches it's way into my skin, scraping, slicing it's way through my back. The vodka seeps into my wounds, burning skin. The sharp pain killing me, "Ah!" Blood spews out all over the floor. Yet another mess for mother to clean up.

My mother looks over at me, worry written on her face. "Sydney! Are you okay baby? Baby! Answer me Angel!" The pain washes away, I fully wake, in Jason's arms. He clutches me to his chest. All wet, and I realize it's from me. My tears and sweat soak his skin. Hair sticks to my forehead and I curl into Jason and cry. I scream into him.