Chapter 21: Home Sick

Always there, when I need you the most, there you are. To comfort me, silence my cries, mold into your softness. You never judge, you stay no matter what. Never leaving me, you are by my side all the way. Or rather underneath me. My bed, you are always there. For now, it's my bed, even though it's really not.

So yea, I left the game and crawled back into bed. My comfort zone. I never want to step out of it again. I turn the tv on to light this dim room. Screaming and applause erupts from the ball game. Only would this happen to me. I shut the tv off, then throw the remote control at the wall.

A loud thud echoes through the halls. I reach for my pillow and cuddle it. Ready to go home. Axel is my home. Which reminds me, I really need to call him.

Phone in hand, I dial Debra's number quick. Right away she picks up the phone, thank god. "Debra! Can I speak to Axel please?" Heavy breathing answers me, no response.

"Hi mommy.", Axel cries through the machine. I hear the aching pain in his voice, my baby misses me. I don't think he can miss me as much as I miss him though, not possible.

"Sweetheart, how are you? I miss you so much." I squeeze the pillow in my arms as if it represents Axel. I can hear sniffling from his side of the phone. "Honey? What's the matter?", cautious.

"Mom please come home. I miss you.", he confesses. My heart aches at his words. If I could teleport to him right now, I would. Sadly, I'm not able to. Unfortunately, I'm stuck here, in this beautiful state, near the ocean, but without my little boy.

"Awe honey, I've only been away for two days. Can't you wait one more night?" He sighs into the phone. I return the sigh, frustrated because I'm not there for him.

"Mom please, I know it's only been two days. But you didn't call me! I thought you died! I just wanted to make sure you were okay."

Removing the phone from my face, I put my hand over it so he doesn't hear me cry. I mute the phone and scream. Choking over my sobs again. Numb all over as I absorb the feelings of my son. How could I leave him like that? When he needs me the most! Shoving my face into the pillow, I scream as loud as I can.

"Mom? Mom! Are you okay?" Shit! He noticed my absence. Probably thinks I hung up. Hopefully he thinks that I hung up the phone and got on the next plane home. I press the mute button again so he can hear me now.

"I'm here baby, fine and dandy.", wiping my tears. The salt seeps into my mouth, so I lick the pain away. "Honey, do you really want me to come home?" I know what's it's like not to have someone there for you. I thought he needed a break from me, some time with his friends. That's not the case, he needs me as much as I need him.

"I do miss you, but I can wait one more night." I hear him sigh into the phone once more. I'll do whatever it takes at this point.

Chewing on my fingernails, I've decided to come home tonight. "Axel? That's very selfless of you, you know that?"

Releasing a breath, he begins to speak. "Thanks mom."  Oh god, I'm glad there's no mirror around because I'd hate to see my hideous face right now. Eyes red and  swollen, hair a mess, in desperate need of a shower.

"Okay babe, well I'm only a phone call away. It was nice to hear your voice. I love you so much! Behave for Debra please.", smiling into the phone. I know he won't be any trouble. I hear all kinds of stories about how he helps with the dishes, even laundry. Wish he'd do that at home.

"Okay mom, I love you too. Bye."

"Bye baby." I wait for him to hang up first. As soon as he does I put the phone down and stare at the blank, white walls. I miss you too. My phone instantly vibrates. Looking at the message from my best friend, who I've abandoned without bothering to tell her where I'm going.