Chapter 48: His Words Not Mine

Friday hopped around the corner quick. Jason's home game is on, and I'm watching it with a bag of popcorn by my side. Sunday, I have to take Axel to his football practice. Next Saturday is his first game. Unfortunately, Jason won't be able to make it, but I'll be cheering my baby on loud and proud. 

The players and fans were blessed with a beautiful September day. Not a cloud in sight, the sun's rays are bright and full. People show support wearing their best Orioles gear.

Suppose I should invest in some tee shirts to support my man, or a ball cap. Nice thing about being home, I don't have to wear pants! I'm in my boy shorts, one of Jason's tee shirts is draped over my frame. Hair thrown up, and I'm wearing prescription glasses that I never wear. 

The stands are filled with black, orange, and white clothed screaming fans. I should be there for him, supporting him. Petulance won me over once again. If I saw Joy, I'd claw her eyes out. The way Jason says she treats him pisses me off.

It's bad enough he has to put up with my attitude, but to deal with hers, a woman he doesn't even love, is unfortunate. Her face would replicate mine, another reason I didn't attend. My face is extremely sore. The swelling went down a tad. 

I watch all the players prep before they start playing. The field crew does their last few touch ups, smoothing the sand out. Jason usually doesn't get distracted before a game. He always turns his phone off so there's no interruptions. I'm surprised when I get a text from him.

Jason: Turn the game on <3

Me: I'm watching baby! Good luck out there and have fun!! 

He read my message and left it at that. The announcer announces all to rise for the national anthem. Though I'm not attending, I take part and stand, hand on heart. I even chant, "Ooooo!", it's like I'm there with them. After everyone is seated, I join. Right when we all think the game is about to begin, the crowd goes wild. 

Chanting, awing, yelling surrounds the field. I squint to see what the hypes about. Oh my god. Jason is running on the field to stand on the pitcher's mound. A mic in his hand, he stands proud, ready to speak. I swear if he's going to profess his love for Joy, I will shut the damn thing off. Is this why he wanted me to watch? So glad I didn't go to the game after all. 

Feet shoulder width apart, he sticks a hand snug in his baseball pants. That uniform looks so good on him. His tan skin comes out with the orange and white. He lifts the mic up to his pretty pink lips, clearing his throat. God he's so sexy. Why does he look nervous? He plays in front of thousands, millions if you count television. 

"I know you're all wondering why I'm down here, speaking right now." Just a little bit. He adjusts his hat, anything to calm himself. "Baby, I hope you're watching this.", he laughs huskily into the mic.  Here we go. "As you all know, I'm engaged to Joy Ashwood." I think I'm going to cry. I'm about to turn the tv off but he reads my mind and catches me before I break. "Keep watching. Just listen." He winks at the camera, for me, he knows I'm watching, looking at his perfection. 

"It's all a lie. I don't love her, and she doesn't like me, at all really." Another laugh disperses out of him, and I giggle. "I don't care about ratings, or popularity. I only care about three things. Baseball." The crowd cheers. "My girlfriend's son. And the love of my life." 

"If I can't play baseball because of her, then so be it." Right when everyone was happy, they all boo. "I've never met anyone as beautiful, smart, outgoing, or as kind as her. Sydney, if you're watching, which I know you are, you watch all my games. Who could ignore this face anyway?" I laugh, arrogant boy. "I love you! I love you so much sweetheart. You're mine and I am yours, forever baby. God does that feel good to admit.