Chapter 47: Remind Me Later

"Why didn't you call me?" Here we are again, arguing. I'm sitting at the table, all played out while Jason paces back and forth.

"Yea, while I'm getting my face smashed in, I would totally have time to call you. If I called anyone, it would have been the cops. You wouldn't have answered anyway."

He stops in his tracks. We stare each other down. Or I at least try to, considering my eyes are disgusting. I looked in the mirror earlier and cried for ten straight minutes. How could anyone love a face like this? Not even a mother could. The question is bugging me. So I spring to through the surface. "Are you going to leave me for good?"

I don't blame him if he doesn't want me anymore. I'm so ugly, it's sickening. Elbows on the table, hands cup the back of my head, I bow, crushing my eyes tighter than they already are. Trapping tears, and the look in my eyes. I can't face the truth, not when I need him the most.

Strong arms pull my chair back from the table, Jason lifts me up, forcing me to wrap my legs around his waist. He places me on the kitchen countertop. His lips whisper the words I long for. "Never." He pecks my left temple. "You're my girlfriend, and I don't appreciate coming here, seeing you kiss anyone other than me."

Is he trying to enforce guilt upon me? I already feel bad enough. "Well you're not my boyfriend, are you? You're Joy's fiancé and you kiss her all the time. I didn't want Jacob to kiss me! He just did because today, he found out his kids aren't even his kids." I'm angry again. Angry that Chenelle caused all of this. She cheated for years, was fake the entire time.

Feeding Chad all my feelings and concerns, she was using me to fork information over to him. "She didn't love him Jason. She used him for his money while she fucked Chad behind his back. Jake and Gabe, Chenelle and Jacob's kids, are actually Axel's brothers."

The door clicks shut, and my whole world shuts with it. "What did you just say?" Axel drops his backpack, mouth agape as he looks at the scene before him. I jump down from the counter and brush past Jason. I stop myself, before I even start because of how I look. "Mom what happened to you?!", he screams, tears loud in his eyes. "Did dad do that to you mom?" He heaves, literally bends over and his tiny body dry heaves.

Nothing comes up but tears and pain. I rush over to him. "Oh god no sweetheart. Daddy didn't do this to me. I'm okay. I'm perfectly fine." I wrap my arms around him, but he refrains.

"Stop saying that! You're hiding the truth again! What is happening mom? Please tell me." I'm at a loss for words. I look at Jason for help, but he's as dumbfounded as I am.

I clear my throat, suck my pride up and confide in my son. He has to know, he's a part of me, and I can't keep hiding. "Jake and Gabe are your brother's Axel. Chenelle and your dad are together, and you're going to have another sibling." The air escapes me, I feel empty. I thought relief would take over, weight would be lifted off my shoulders, but I'm crushed. The weight is harder to hold up, and I'm too weak for its pressure.

"That doesn't answer what happened to you. Who hurt you mom?" He touches my cheeks and I break down right there. It's almost as if Axel is my dad and I'm too ashamed to tell him who's been bullying me. I feel like a hopeless child. That same child I was, I'm back to her again.

"You don't need to know that Axel. I am okay, so please stop patronizing me. I am the adult and you don't need to stress about any of this." I comb through his hair, but he turns his head away. His face is scrunched up, he grabs his backpack and storms out of the room.

I stand, can't believe that I can. I stare at the spot Axel vacated. After feeling all alone his whole life, he had brothers. Now he'll never be alone. I just don't want Chenelle or Chad to be in his life.