Chapter 35: So Many Unread Messages

The quaint restaurant pleases me. People watching isn't normally my thing, but today it is. A Friday noon rush, many elders sit in solitude. I've always wanted to sit with one, but I'm afraid they're actually mean.

They look cute on the outside, but the inside, they're vicious, not all are. Maybe they want to be alone, hence, why they are. They'd probably say something between the lines of, "Get out of that seat you son of a bitch. I didn't come here to be pestered.."

Then again, who knows, you can make a friend that way. Older people are extremely wise; I've learned over the years. I love listening to their tales about how they grew up. How love was different back then, school, their jobs, clothes, food, everything is new to me, but old to them. Just like our way of living today is old for us, but new for them.

My eyes land on a specific young boy, probably seventeen years old. Hopefully not a worry in the world. Surprisingly not on his phone, he fidgets with the paper from his straw, folding it until it's an inch thick. Bouncing his heel up and down, anxious about something, I'm not sure what.

After he's done playing with the straw paper, he dumps all the sugar packets out of their container. Reorganizing each packet neatly, I could wonder what this kids deal is, but I don't really care. He could just be impatiently waiting for his date to arrive. If that's the case, the asswipe should've picked her up.

It's daunting to think how every single person here has a story. One in which why they are here today. Some are hungry, maybe some are like me, where they just need to get out of the house. To rid their thoughts and just be consumed by smiling faces.

The young boy pushes his glasses up the bridge of his nose. Nibbling on his finger nail, I can tell he's anxious. I get up, not taking my eyes off of him. The seat opposite is open, so, I sit. He jumps, caught his attention, his eyes scan me, lost. "Hello, I'm Sydney."

I extend my hand, he removes his from his mouth and wipes the dirty hand on his pants. I want to gag, but I suck it up. Axel has put me through worse situations when it comes to germs. He returns my hand shake, a ghost of a smile on his face.

"Arthur Romen..." Up close, freckles scatter across his face. Jet black hair combs his sideburns, thin eyebrows raise at me. A Led Zeppelin shirt strapped against his chest, I suppress the urge to vomit. Bracelets wrap around his wrists, this kid is such a kid.

"Sorry to disturb you...Arthur. You just look frantic, and a little too young to be out of school." Worry creases his features, he raises his hands to cup his ears. Eyes pinch shut, I'm beginning to feel a little frightened myself.

Maybe interfering wasn't such a good idea, but if Axel ever needed help, I'd like it if someone at least offered. This boy looks shook. "Oh god, is it that noticeable?" I nervously nod my head yes. "This is my first attempt at skipping school, ever. A girl in my class told me to meet her here after the third bell. I've been waiting here for twenty minutes, I don't think she's going to show."

I know what that feels like. Thinking the boy you fell in love with will storm through that hospital door, ready to hold your hand. To, console you, words of encouragement as we were supposed to take on the world together. Then I realized, you can't expect anything from anyone, because if you do, you'll always be disappointed.

"So...she couldn't just wait to hang out with you after school?" From the looks of Arthur, he doesn't look like a typical bad boy. In fact, he's the exact opposite. Converse shoes, dark wash skinny jeans, he seems like a decent kid. "Tell me about her."

"Who? Clare?" No. Bill Clinton's left nut. Yes! Clare! I vigorously nod my head yes, with an, are you dumb look on my face. He props a hand under his chin, all the weight from his head, held up from his elbow. "Wow. Well, she's a summer breeze, warm and beautiful. Everyone wants to be around her. I imagine her auburn curls being soft as they bounce on her skin. Those pink cheeks stick out from her lovely pale exterior. That peach colored lipgloss she wears, gosh would I love to just take a taste. Her arched skinny eyebrows, flawless. Gorgeous light green, sweet little eyes, that accept everyone. But when she smiles, damn, when that girl smiles, that's really when she looks like summertime. Such a pretty girl."