one | gold digger

The girl staring back at me had a blank expression, her dull-brown eyes drilling inside my soul as if to warn me to back off as if acting like some sort of armour to protect herself. Her long, brunette hair cascaded down her shoulders, her too-thin shoulders demanding some more coverage and I caught her hands forming into fists as if ready to throw a punch who got too close to her. It was as if she was stuck in her own world filled with wars and disappointments.

Averting my eyes away from the mirror that had been situated in front of me, I grabbed the black hoodie and threw it over my head. I grabbed my hairbrush and ran it through my light brunette hair before grabbing my worn out backpack and closed the door behind.

"Luce," I heard my mother call from the kitchen, looking as elegant as usual, thanks to the money her new husband offered her when she married into his family. I clenched my jaw, trying to hide the distaste of the fancy jewellery and designer clothing she wore as I grabbed a toast from the plate before storming out of the disgustingly new house they had also bought after getting married.

It was the same almost everyday where I woke up, got dressed, grabbed a toast without acknowledging my mother before storming out of the house. I knew my mother pitied me and wanted me to enjoy the luxuries but unlike her, I wasn't a gold digger.

Heading to school was the same everyday as well. Lonely bus rides and sitting alone at the back of the bus with headphones on and hoodie up. I wanted to be invisible. I just needed to get through senior year, have a university offer a scholarship to me far from home then I'd be gone.

There was nothing in this place for me.

As I headed to my first class which happened to be AP History, I took a seat at the back in the corner where it had a window with the view of the basketball courts. The boys on the courts wore their uniform with pride as they shot their hoops before a coach blew his whistle, chasing his team off the court.

"Class, we have a new student," the teacher announced with unusual glee in her tone and just as I slightly glanced up from my hoodie, heavy footsteps entered the room. A tall male walked inside, his dark black hair dishevelled while his hazel eyes roamed around the room, a smirk playing on his pink lips. The teacher blushed as he came to a stand beside her, looking like a giraffe in comparison to her short height. "Meet Sora Lockhart. Mr Lockhart, tell us a bit about yourself."

I rolled my eyes as I allowed myself to stare through the window, watching the green tree tops sway with the gentle wind.

"I don't like to associate myself with anyone so if you would like to give me my personal space, that'd be much appreciated," his low, deep voice echoed throughout the room, an Australian accent laced in his voice made girls nearby squeal in delight.

"Right," the teacher said and just as I turned my attention back to the teacher, she was already eyeing me with a glare. "Miss Raelyn, would you please remove that hoodie? It isn't part of the uniform code."

I clenched my jaw before taking my hoodie off, cursing at the private school for demanding uniforms for us to wear in the first place. I felt Sora's eyes on me as I moved my eyes to his, daring him to challenge me but I had looked away to put my hoodie inside my backpack.

"You can sit beside Miss Raelyn," the teacher spoke cooly as she pointed to the empty desk beside me.

Great.

Sora moved with ease as he passed girls' awed eyes, his broad shoulders hunched before slipping behind the desk with a grunt. I couldn't help but inhale his cologne and almost choked at how much he had sprayed.

"Something wrong?" he asked quietly as I felt a pair of eyes drilling the side of my face, his accent rolling off his tongue perfectly.

I turned my head to him and smiled sweetly. I noticed his tattoos peaking out of his shirt as if to say hello and I couldn't help noticed if the school also knew about his tattoos. "You smell worse than my mom."

If he was offended, he didn't show it.

Class passed by quickly and with the demanding stares that Sora offered me, it was beginning to suffocate me so when the bell rung, I quickly packed my things before rushing out of the class, allowing myself to breathe. I passed by students who were conversing with their friends about their weekends at the Hamptons or some sort of paradise. Since my foot stepped into the premises of these stuck-up kids, I cursed my mother for allowing my stepfather to enrol me into this monstrous school that demanded uniforms and outrageously loads of homework.

As I pushed my way past, I hurried to the building where my sanity would be found as I entered the enormously large room. The dance room had rows and rows of mirrors as I quickly headed to the corner of the room and stripped my uniform off before slipping into my dance gear which consisted of a black tee, black leggings and my pointe shoes.

"Finally," I whispered under my breath as I walked towards the speakers and plugged my phone in before playing some random piano music that was fit for ballet.

Two hours passed and I had given myself a five minute break to have a snack before continuing to dance and lose myself within the music. I then found myself changing back into my uniform, muscles aching as I lifted my hoodie and pulled it over my head, settling down nicely on my upper body. I sighed, hating the fact that I needed to leave this room before picking up my backpack and headed out of the dance room with reluctance.

Heading out of the building, the sun shone in my eyes as I held a hand to my forehead, rushing to my next class. I found myself heading to my locker first, shoving my backpack inside before taking out the materials I needed for my AP Psych class. Shutting my locker, I found Sora Lockhart standing in the middle of the almost-empty hallway with a piece of paper in his hand. It was probably his schedule.

It was bad enough that the hallway was small.

Sighing, I held my books close to my chest as I kept my head down before walking towards Sora and as I pushed past him with my shoulder, I heard him curse under his breath knowing that he had dropped his schedule. Why did he need to stand in the middle of the hallway? What an idiot.

"Hey, aren't you going to apologise?" he called out after me, earning attention from peers that was still lingering around as if to waste their day away.

I glanced behind my shoulder, taking my hoodie off knowing that I wanted him to see me as I threw him a bored expression before heading off to my next class.