thirty | mother of the year

This morning, I had received a call from my father saying that he was going to come by later. That had forced me to get out of bed and quickly finish my morning routine in the span of five minutes. I had threw on Sora's oversized hoodie over my tank top and my shorts, unable to handle the cold that dominated today's weather.

Sora had left a note earlier today, saying that he was going to do an early morning training with Sam. Martha and Liam had left for the morning market then had mentioned something about a friend's birthday this afternoon so it was just Sora and I at the house today.

I heard a knock on the front door as I quickly got up and raced to the door, slowly opening to find my father waiting with a pink duffel bag beside him on the ground.

"Good morning, Lucinda," my father said with a smile as he picked up the pink duffel bag and made his way inside, forcing me to step to the side. I closed the door behind him and followed him to the living room where he placed my duffel bag on the floor before examining the place. "This is quite beautifully decorated, if I must admit."

"Thank you for bringing my stuff over," I whispered.

Edward smiled. "I was actually surprised you didn't have any more things."

I shrugged. "I kept it at a minimal while I lived there."

Edward nodded before taking a seat on the sofa, patting the seat beside him as he smiled at me softly. "I have some good news, well, it depends how you take it."

I frowned. "What is it?"

"Your mother surrendered to the custody battle so the court ordered that I now have full custody of you," he answered proudly.

Honestly, I didn't know how that was supposed to make me feel. My mother didn't even try to fight for me but at this point, I shouldn't even be surprised.

"You're welcome to live in my home, if you wish," my father offered quietly. "I'd love to have you there and we'd be able to do some quality bonding time."

I bit my lip. "I don't know if I'm ready to leave this place, yet."

Edward sighed as he unbuttoned his suit jacket before turning to face me. "Lucinda, I've always dreamed of having you live with me. I want to get to know my daughter and make up for the lost times. Don't you want to get to know me?"

It was true. I've always wanted to know what my father was like, and what we would do if we had a day together and now I have this opportunity to live with him.

I just didn't know if I could leave Sora. I've gotten so used to seeing him on a daily basis that seeing him a couple times a week or even less, was something I wouldn't be able to bear.

"Let me think about it, okay?" I asked softly.

My father nodded reluctantly. "Okay but I do hope you choose to live with me. On top of that, you are invited to the annual charity ball that a friend of mine is holding." I watched my father take out a golden invitation out of his pockets before handing it to me. "You are allowed to invite a plus one."

I frowned. "I don't really attend to these kind of events."

Edward smiled. "I thought you'd say that so I asked Sora to be your plus one and he already agreed."

I raised a brow at him. That was quick work. "So, I guess I have no choice but to go?"

Edward nodded as if he was a proud little boy. "A package of your outfits will arrive in about a few hours. They're my gifts to you."

I was about to speak but Edward got up and made his way towards the door as if he was in a rush. "But, I-"

Edward placed a kiss on my cheek, leaving me stunned. "See you tonight, my beautiful girl."