nine | tough shell

Stirring around, I slowly opened my eyes as I groaned, trying to adjust my eyesight to the blinding light that was coming from the side. I licked my dry lips and gulped when I found a needle stuck in my arm, forcing me to quickly sit upright, my eyes bulging out of their sockets. Three figures were seated in the chairs beside me, eyes fluttered shut except one who was reading a novel in hand.

He barely gave me a smirk but instead, worry flashed in his eyes. "How are you feeling?"

I shrugged as I grabbed the cup of water from the table beside me and chugged it down. "Could be feeling better. Where am I?"

Sora slammed his book shut, making me flinch in surprise. His eyes glanced over to his grandparents for a second, relief washing over him when they hadn't woken up. "The hospital. You've been passed out for a day and a half now."

I frowned. "Why?" And it was true. Judging by the dull colours of the room and machines connected to my body, I was indeed in a ward. I always hated hospitals. They were always so depressing.

Sora scoffed, eyeing me cautiously. "Doc says you have a lack of nutrients in your body and dehydration. Your body is exhausted from your dance practices because you overworked yourself and haven't been eating consistently."

I licked my lips and sighed out in frustration. "I'm fine."

Sora chuckled humourlessly. "You don't look fine, Luce."

Our voices -that was not hushed as it should've been- woke up Sora's grandparent's as they jumped to their feet and sighed in relief when they saw me smiling at them. Martha -who's name I had learnt earlier when I had met them for the first time- helped me to the bathroom after the doctor's visit and left me alone in there for a while to take a quick shower and brush my teeth. She then proceeded to brushing my hair for me which I found odd because no one touched my hair, except me. Sora and Liam had went out to grab some breakfast which Martha had forced them to do much to Sora's dismay.

"Oh, honey, you look like you've never gotten your hair brushed before," Martha spoke as she softly combed through my long hair as I stood in front of the mirror, slightly horrified at how ill I looked. I was seriously pale and my cheeks were hallow as if if you knocked on my face, it would make sounds.

I bit my lip and smiled shyly. "My mother never had the time."

Martha carefully led me back to my bed as she gently tucked me, smiling softly at me. "You know, you gave Sora a heart attack."

I frowned. "What do you mean?"

Martha chuckled, joy dancing in her eyes. "Sora may be a delinquent but he has such a big heart. Well, at first, he complained about not getting his food after you collapsed then his mind kicked into fear and thought you may had been dying."

I couldn't help but chuckle. "I'm not surprised that Sora was upset he didn't get that burger and milkshake."

Martha smiled. "Shaped like a walking god but eats like a monstrous animal."

I bit my lip. "Where's my mom?"

Martha's green eyes flashed with pity before quickly disappearing. "They couldn't reach her."

I knew I shouldn't expect much -or anything- from my dearest mother but why did I feel so disappointed that when I needed her most, she wasn't here? "I figured."