fourteen | friends

Michael and I didn't end up getting a drink together seeing as George and Adam dragged us to the twentieth level where their department was. I thanked the Gods above that at least I didn't happen to be alone today and having some company in this foreign world was more comforting than being alone, that I'd admit.

Adam, George and I few other men were discussing some business work, leaving Michael and I to hide in the corners whilst the other children who had decided to follow their parents hung around in the more social group that was located on the other side of the room.

Michael and I talked about school and I had learnt that he was in his second year of college, taking engineering seeing as he was a mathematician. I know, crazy, right? I had told him that I did dance and how I was in a dysfunctional family and Michael had responded with a "most families are dysfunctional in their own way".  I had agreed with him.

The elevator dinged and the doors slowly opened, revealing a handsome man and a beautiful girl -who looked around Michael's age- standing side by side as if they were equals. The girl had straight shoulder-length brunette hair, her brown eyes glittering in the sunlight as she held her hands together over her black pencil skirt.

Everyone's chattering ceased the second the man and girl stepped out of the elevator.

"Good morning everyone," The man spoke, his voice deep yet calming, my jaw dropping at how such a sound could exist. "Thank you all for coming and yes, that includes you children too. If you didn't know, my name is Xavier Walker."

I tilted my head to the side, the man looking somewhat familiar to all the magazines that I had been looking at when I was bored at Chloé's studio.

"You all probably already know of my daughter, Bianca," Xavier introduced his daughter who gave a little wave as her a wide smile painted her face.

"God damn," I heard Michael beside me mutter under his breath.

I turned towards him to see what he was looking at and as I followed his gaze, his eyes were set on Bianca who was now greeting guests with her father. I faced Michael with a knowing grin as Michael blinked at me and threw his head back, letting out an annoying sigh.

"What?" he questioned.

I shrugged. "You have your eyes set on someone, huh?"

Michael chuckled. "No."

"I caught you staring at her."

Michael ran a hand through his hair and let out an exasperated sigh. "Fine. I have a crush on her but she's way out of my league. She's literally the daughter of Mr. Walker, a billionaire, and top of her class in college. She's so smart and volunteers to help out third-war countries and-"

"We get it, she's way out of your league," I pointed out.

Michael blinked at me, feigning hurt. "Damn, you don't have to say it out loud, though."

I was about to open my mouth to speak when I felt a tap on my shoulder and the moment Michael immediately went rigid, I knew who it was.

I turned around to find Bianca with a bright smile as she extended a hand out to me. "Hi, I'm Bianca Walker, it's really nice to meet you."

I took it and shook it gently. "I'm Lucinda Raelyn, it's nice to meet you too."

"You're Adam Valentine's step daughter, right?" Bianca asked slowly before I nodded in response. She clapped her hands together excitedly. "Your parents' wedding was simply beautiful, extra but beautiful."

I let out a nervous laugh. "Yeah, well..." I honestly had nothing else to say.

Bianca glanced over my shoulder at Michael and gave him a kind smile. "Hey, Michael, it's good to see you here. I didn't think you'd come."

Michael shrugged. "My dad kind of forced me."

Bianca nodded her head in understanding. "Of course."

She was beautiful and kind-hearted. What a package.

"Anyways, I'll see you in class tomorrow," Bianca said to Michael who have her a slight nod before glancing at me with a smile. "I hope to see you around."

I nodded, watching her walk away knowing damn well that we weren't going to see each other again in the future unless the universe says so.

"Michael, I want you to meet some of my colleagues," George said, approaching us as he gave me a nod of acknowledgement. "Come."

George walked away first, leaving Michael and I to bid our goodbyes.

"We'll see each other soon," Michael said with a smile. "I think of us as friends."

I scoffed. "I don't have friends."

Michael shrugged, flicking my bun before walking away as he replied, "now you have one."

I understood why he thought Bianca was out of his league now.

-

The moment Adam and I stepped out of the car and inside the foyer, he immediately went upstairs -probably to meet my mother- while I went to the kitchen. My stomach growled at the sight of a chocolate cake sitting on the centre of the table. I bit my lip, contemplating on whether to eat it but right before I was about to make up my mind, my phone began to ring.

"What?" was the first thing I said when I picked up the phone without looking at the contact.

"Ah, you're still as frisky as always," I heard Sora say on the other line.

"What do you want, Sora?"

"Just wanted to check in on you seeing as you left with your step-father this morning."

I let out an exhausted sigh. "Sora, I need rest. Can we talk tomorrow?"

Sora hung up without a goodbye.

What was up with him?