twenty-three | family

Today was the big day.

This practical exam made up of sixty percent of my entire grade and it depended on every practice I have done that had led up to this moment.

Chloe was here with me since teachers had allowed outside tutors to help prepare the students. As I sat in my own booth in the waiting room, Chloe was standing behind me with a nervous look on her face, her hands softly braiding my hair as she mumbled a few words under her breath.

I wasn't disappointed when Chloe had informed me that my mother wasn't present in the crowd, instead, I breathed in relief. It would've been a concern if my mother had started showing interest in my life because then, I knew she wanted something.

As I stared back at the reflection, I saw a girl with hollow cheeks and pale skin, her brown eyes unable to maintain that spark that had blown out at the age of six. Slowly taking in deep breaths, Chloe instructed me to stand as she double checked my red and black costume, adjusting the frills to her liking before patting me on the back.

"Are you confident?" Chloe questioned softly, her kind eyes observing me.

I hesitated before nodding. "I'll be fine."

"The nerves are normal, mon chère," Chloe soothed. "But when you're out there, it'll be as if nothing else matters. I believe in you."

For the first time since Sora, I genuinely smiled at her before giving her a tight hug. Chloe's tensed shoulders relieved as she returned my hug, whispering soothing words that almost calmed my nerves.

"Lucinda Grace Raelyn," a woman announced to a room filled with anxiety and nerves as Chloe let go of me and raised her hand. "You're on."

Chloe led me to the backstage, the black curtains remained closed as she put me in position before leaving a feather kiss on my cheek. She wished me luck before leaving me alone on the enormous stage, my nerves finally getting into work again. I raised both of my hands on top of head and slightly tilted my head back as I stretched my left leg to the side.

As the melancholy song began to play, I released myself to the music that strung me along every step, repeating every step that has been infused in my mind for so long. The grace in my body swung me into the air and my toes landing perfectly on the ground, my breath hitching when I felt a sharp pain jabbing on my left ankle. I chose to ignore it as I continued to move swiftly along the music, allowing my mind to flow along with my body yet prevented the emotions from escaping its dungeons.

As the song came to an end, I found myself resting on the floor with my head laid onto my outstretched arm. My eyes fluttered open and saw the enormous crowd stand on their feet and applaud, eliciting an adrenaline on my blood as I quickly recovered on my feet and bowed before half-running and half-walking to Chloe. She had been waiting for me by the corner of the stage, her hands clasped together in front of her lips as tears welled in her eyes before catching me a tight hug.

"That was beautiful, mon chère!" she exclaimed, pulling back as she tucked a stray hair behind my ear. "You are absolutely talented."

"Thank you," I said, trying to recover my breath as she led me past the waiting room. I frowned at Chloe who gave me a sneaky smile before leading me out the auditorium. "Where are we going?"

"You have family who want to congratulate you," Chloe whispered, a proud smile dancing on her lips as she tightened her grip on my hand in a comforting way before turning around the corner.

My confusion ceased when I found two tall figures behind two shorter figures, each holding a bouquet of wide-range of flowers with wide smiles painted on their faces. Sora and Michael who were dressed in matching black and white tuxedos approached me first as they both kissed each of my cheeks, leaving me stunned in my spot.

"Now, that's a dance," Michael said proudly. "You've done well, Luce."

Michael handed me the bouquet he had been holding before stepping to the side, allowing Sora to say his piece. I glanced up at Sora who tapped the bottom of my chin as usual before handing me his own bouquet. "You were beautiful up there. Maybe you can dance in my room-"

Michael punched him, giving him a serious look.

Sora cleared his throat and looked at me dead on the eyes. Okay, I thought that was a tad bit too serious. "You amaze me every time."

I couldn't help but smiled at him, watching him blink in surprise before clearing his throat again as he walked over towards Michael who had been snickering.

Next, Martha and Liam both hugged me and kissed my cheeks as they handed me their own smaller bouquet of flowers, tears welling up in their eyes. They both congratulated me and had complimented my dance before deciding that they both needed to go to the bathroom. Chloe had offered to show them the way, leaving me alone with the two men that had been whispering to each other under their breaths.

I stood there awkwardly, unsure of what to do as I bit my lip and stepped towards Sora and Michael who stopped their chattering. All of a sudden, the emotions that I have suppressed for so long began to bubble as I gulped, a rock lodged in my throat.

"Are you okay?" Michael asked, concerned as he placed a hand on my shoulder softly.

I bit my lip. "Thank you."

Michael frowned. "What ever for?"

Tears stung my eyes as I inhaled a shaky breath, meeting both of their concerned eyes. "Thank you for being here. It means a lot." My voice had been soft and squeaky and I didn't know if they had heard me. I wasn't going to repeat myself if they hadn't though.

Michael clicked his tongue as he pulled me in for a warm hug, his chin resting on top of my head while crushing the bouquet of flowers that were in my arms. "We're family now, Luce. I'm always going to be here."

That made me want to cry even more. I didn't deserve friends like Michael. I bit my lip to stop myself from crying as I looked up at Sora who stared at me with wandering eyes.

I froze when Sora began to move his arm as his soft fingers wiped the teardrops from my eyes before giving me a soft smile. "I'm proud of you."

Michael let me go before taking two bouquet of roses from me, helping me with the load. "Why don't we grab some dessert? You look way too thin, Luce."

I chuckled. "It's not like I have to watch my weight anymore at the moment."

Just as Sora and Michael was about to take out their phones and google a place nearby to crash, someone's clearing throat made me frown and caused me to turn around. My heart skipped a beat and my ankles almost gave out when my eyes met another familiar pair of eyes, similar to mine. I licked my dry lips as my eyes ran over it's dishevelled, black hair and it's expensive suit.

"Speaking of family," the figure said, nervously twisting the Rolex that rested on his wrist. "Do you have a moment for your father?"

And it was as if I was brought back to shattered memories of my childhood that I had been shoved into a box and buried in the depths of my mind, the lock shook. My body became numb as my eyes slightly widened at the figure of my birth father standing before me.

"My sweet Lucinda, how have you been?"

a/n: I hope you enjoyed this chapter and feel free to follow my instagram for updates and weird stuff!! xhttps://www.instagram.com/rosesariella/