ten | rebel

It was around four in the morning when my lungs were screaming for the taste of fluids as I unconsciously reached for the night stand, remembering that Sora had left a glass of water earlier. I sat up and quickly chugged down the water, sighing after finishing the whole glass.

Slowly getting out of bed, I felt my head sway for a split second before walking across the room. Just as I had quietly slipped out of the room, my heart dropped to the floor when a figure was leaning over the railings, their shoulder broad and muscular, bare in the darkness as if clothing didn't exist. The dim light from his bedroom slightly illuminated on his back, his back muscles flexing as he moved his hand to comb through his dishevelled hair.

"Couldn't sleep?" His voice whispered, quiet and alluring yet it made me jump.

I walked past him, descending the stairs as I walked into the kitchen to grab something to eat. I heard heavy footsteps sounding from behind, knowing that Sora had decided to follow me on my small adventure. "I was feeling a bit hungry."

Sora chuckled, leaning against the counter as he switched on the lights, revealing a very leaned and muscular body of his. I ripped my prying eyes away from him and cleared my throat before grabbing an apple from the fruit basket.

"I moved to Australia because my parents got fed up with me," I heard Sora mutter under his breath, feeling his hard gaze on my back. I frowned and turned around, I too leaning on the counter as I crossed both my arms over my chest.

"I'm not surprised," I replied with a shrug, unfazed.

Sora's face turned sour as he clenched his jaw. "They found out that I was in the underground fight club after the second time of forcing me to quit. They knew I wasn't going to give up anytime soon so they decided to ship me off to my grandparents, hoping I'd learn something from it."

I snickered. "And here you are, doing the same thing you did back in Australia."

His lip twitched. "If they tell you not to do something, you're obviously going to do it. That's how a human's mind works, they rebel."

Biting into my apple, I shrugged. "I hope they take you back soon."

Sora studied me for a quiet moment, his hazel eyes roaming around my face and for a split second, an emotion of some sorts flickered but by the time I blinked, it was gone. "I don't want to go back."

I tilted my head to the side, slightly surprised. "Why not?"

Sora looked away, tilting his head back with a sigh. "Things are holding me back here and it makes me want to stay."

"Australia is your home, though," I responded, throwing the half-eaten apple away. "You have family and friends over there. Why would you want to stay in a foreign country?"

Sora met my eyes with such determination, it almost scared me. "I've found my home elsewhere."

-

Martha had taken me back home the next morning where I had found my mother and stepfather lounging on the sofa, arms around each other. Martha had given me a sad look before bidding me goodbye as I slowly walked up the stairs, Kai on the way down while juggling a few laundry in his hands.

"Miss Raelyn," Kai called out, forcing me to look over the railing to see him giving me a relieved look. "Welcome home. Please let me know if you need anything."

I simply nodded before continuing the walk to my room and plopped on my bed that has been awaiting my arrival.

I must've fallen asleep because when I had woken up, it was nightfall. I rubbed my eyes, suddenly frustrated that my sleep schedule was becoming worse by the day and I had to stay up all night to finish the paper that was due tomorrow.