fifteen | kicked out

It has been a solid week of studying for mid-terms while juggling of trying to perfect my performances. My body was being pushed to overwork itself and yet, it was starting to grow accustomed to it while I worked my brain during the night, memorising formulas and essays that was needed in a month and a half time. It has also been a week since my phone call with Sora and I hadn't seen him since and it was probably because our intense schedules were packed.

The swim team had a meet just a couple days ago and I had heard one of the dancer's gushed about how Sora had came first in every single category, winning our school and himself a gold medal. The thought of congratulating him had crossed my mind but every single second now counted until all my exams and competition was finally done so I had decided to pass on it. I still didn't know what Sora and I were.

Friends? I didn't want friends.

Neighbours? That was more suitable.

Stressed to the absolute max, I banged my forehead on my study table about three times before letting out a frustrated sigh. Slightly looking up, I squinted my eyes at the clock that was placed before me as if taunting me that I could've been doing something useful with my time instead of my head stuck in the textbooks laid in front of me.

A knock sounded from the other side of my room and I let out a groan, notifying to the intruder that they were welcome in my sanctuary. "Miss Raelyn, it is almost three in the morning and all I could hear as I walk down the hall is the sound of a dying animal. Please, get some rest."

I turned around in my chair, willing all the energy I had inside of me and glared at him. "Kai, I don't think you understand the pressure I'm going through right now with the mid-terms and the upcoming dance recital."

Kai let out a regretful sigh. "Do you want tea or coffee?"

I raised a brow at him. "Coffee. Can I also please get some snacks?"

Kai gave me a nod. "Fruits?"

I nodded in approval and gave him a grateful smile. "Thank you." Being nice to Kai was a first and hopefully the last.

Doing an all-nighter was one of my biggest regrets ever because the feeling of seeing the sun rise then realising you had gotten no sleep at all. As I walked down the stairs, my mother was standing there, her eyes in a faraway land as she wrapped her arms around her waist protectively.

I gave her a look, grabbing an apple before walking out of the kitchen, confused by what I had just witnessed.

Stepping out of the house, I yawned and stretched before biting into my apple and just as I was about to take another step forward, my heart lodged in my throat when a tall figure was standing in the middle of my driveway, hair shaggy and leather jacket on the ground.

l tilted my head in confusion and realised that Michael was standing there, black shirt untucked from his navy blue jeans as he stared at me with exhausted hazel eyes. He looked worse than me.

"Hey," he said, slowly picking up his jacket from the ground.

I rushed over to him and quickly took out my water bottle from my backpack and handed it over to him. Michael chugged it down in three seconds before handing it back to me. "What happened to you?"

Michael let out a sigh, running his hand through his dirty hair. "I got caught up in a fight."

I raised a brow. "With who?"

Michael scoffed. "You won't believe it."

I gave him a blank look and crossed my arms over my chest. "Try me."