twenty | Martha

Waking up with a yawn, I stretched my arms and legs then arched my body, making that unattractive sound one makes early in the morning. I heard a chuckle, making my eyes snap open as I rubbed my eyes, chasing the sleep away. I blinked and focused on my surroundings, surprised to see a room that was not my room.

"That was quite a show," I heard an Australian accent say as I snapped my head to the door where Sora was leaning against the frame, his shirtless body in sight.

I glared at him, not even embarrassed that he had seen me stretch. Maybe it was the fact that dancers stretched in front of each other all the time that I had gotten used to it. "Where am I?"

"You're in the spare room," Sora answered with a casual shrug, his grey sweatpants hanging low on his waist with a mug in his hand. "You didn't wake up when I got to your house so I just took you to mine."

I was speechless. What was I supposed to say to that? "Uh, thank you."

Sora blinked at me while he sipped on his mug. "A spare toothbrush and toothpaste is in the bathroom."

I nodded as he walked away before I fell back on the comfortable bed and let out a loud sigh.

It took me ten minutes to finally get out of bed as I checked my phone and realised I didn't have any missed calls or messages. I wasn't expecting any. I had gone to the bathroom and completed my morning routine, throwing my hair up in a messy bun and realised that there was a change of clothes already laid out on the bed. Changing out of my school uniform, I dressed myself in an oversized black t-shirt with black shorts.

As I walked down the stairs, Sora was nowhere to be found and decided to approach the kitchen where most of the sound was coming from. Martha was making breakfast with headphones over her ears as she held a bowl against her stomach and began dancing around the kitchen, eyes closed and smile wide.

Oh, how carefree she seemed.

"Good morning, Lucinda," I jumped when Liam approached me from behind, giving me a wide grin as he walked past me and kissed his wife's cheek. Martha squealed in delight, like a teenage girl, and turned her head to me with the brightest smile I have ever seen.

"Oh, good morning Lucinda!" she exclaimed as she placed down the bowl and approached me with wide arms, kissing both my cheeks before pulling me in for a tight hug. "I was surprised when Sora told me that you were occupying the spare bedroom. How was the date last night?"

I raised a brow. "Date?"

Liam clicked his tongue. "Oh darling, Sora told us that it wasn't a date but Martha just kept chanting 'date'."

I crinkled my nose. "It was just a night out that he had planned to take my mind off things."

Martha gave me a look before brushing it off. "Anyways, Sora will be home soon. He had gone off for a morning jog."

I smiled with genuineness as I grabbed her hand and held it tightly, suddenly feeling grateful for all that she had done for me. "Happy Birthday, Martha."

Martha grinned. "Oh, don't remind me! I'm growing older by the year."

"Really, now?" Liam questioned, feigning shock. "You look as if you're growing younger. How is that even possible?"

Martha laughed. "Oh, shut up. Come on, Lucinda, let's sit at the table while Liam finishes up."

Martha guided me to the dining table and sat beside me as she brushed away her hair that seemed to frame her face quite well. She looked at me, I mean really looked at me, and sighed. "The first day I met you, I knew you were the sweetest girl but you looked so very tired, drained of life even."