twenty-six | halloween

Today was Halloween and yes, it was this time of the year which I despise the most because it reminded me of my father's abandonment and how he had left. It's been two days since Sora's examinations and three days since I last spoke to my birth father and mother. I have resided in Martha and Liam's home temporarily but I knew my mother does not care for me at all for she has not looked for me or tried at all.

Since Juls have decided to stay for Halloween, he pushed back the date of his meeting in Paris, he and Sora have been sharing a room. During late nights, I have heard the siblings talk of their past and their parents, the adventures they had as children and challenges they have faced as they grew older.

As I found myself on the sofa, the two brothers descended the staircase with playful smiles before their smiles ceased at the sight of me. Juls nodded in my direction as a sign of a greeting before disappearing around the corner and before I knew it, I heard the back door close.

"So, what are you reading?" Sora asked, settling into the empty beside me as he observed the book in my hands. Since two days ago, Juls had made me aware of my feelings, especially around Sora and currently, a sense of security wrapped around me.

I shrugged. "One of Harry Potter's book."

Sora nodded but I knew he wanted to say more so I closed my book and turned my body to face him. He looked up at me but I knew that inside his mind, he was a little bit conflicted as if what he would say would get rid of me.

"What is it, Lockhart?" I asked, sighing.

It took him a minute to gather his thoughts as he breathed out a shaky breath before his hazel eyes met mine with such intensity, it almost made me look away.

"I'm not one to hide my feelings," Sora said softly, almost nervously as he fiddled with his fingers. "But, I do have very strong feelings for you." His last sentence struck me by surprise in the heart because I felt my heart leap and my stomach churn in a good way.

I gathered the courage to form the words on my mouth before clearing my mouth. "What do you mean by strong feelings?"

Sora's jaw clenched at my question, never turning away from me. "I don't want to say anything further because it might destroy our friendship."

I bit my lip, testing the boundaries. "I thought you said you don't hide your feelings."

Sora chuckled, easing the tension between us. "I love you."

And yet, those three words that I have never heard on my entire life, not even from my own mother, shattered my world. I didn't know whether it was because it made me realise my own intense feelings for Sora or because I didn't know I was even worthy to hear those words.

Sora blinked and for a moment, I thought I saw a flicker of regret glinting in his eyes but as always, it disappeared so fast as it appeared. "I know you may not return the same feelings as I hold for you and yes, I've put our friendship in danger but I will not go another day without letting you know how I truly feel about you."

And yet, he gave me the power to break him. To hurt him.

I chewed on my lip nervously, not knowing how to respond.

Sora took that as a sign to continue. "Nevertheless, I'm always here for you and I'll always be your friend."

I inhaled a silent breath, knowing that this was the perfect time to express how I felt about Sora and my confusion of it. I licked my lips and swallowed my saliva before opening my mouth but before I could even let a word or breath escape my mouth, the doors opened and Juls excited scream came from behind.