Chapter 36

Kris' POV

"Kris??!" I heard her voice but I didn't react, I was numb.

"Kris what happened to you?" she asks sounding concerned but I just remained quiet, I don't know how to react anymore.

"Kris please look at me" she said then held my face with her hands forcing me to look at her. 

I saw concern, then worry and then love and for a moment I was lost in her forest green eyes but then I saw my reflection through them. I saw how I look so distorted, lost and empty and suddenly everything replayed in front of me once again, I remembered what she had done.

And just like being burned by her touch I quickly push myself away from her and entered the elevator doors, she tried to follow but I immediately push the close button leaving her out. I tried pushing the memories away, I have no time for this, I didn't come here to reconcile I came here to fix the financial problem that the company is currently facing.

I went directly to my office where Kristoff is waiting and was pacing back and forth.

"Kris!" he shouted running to me and giving me a huge bear hug which I reciprocate, I miss his warmness.

"Kristoff, hello" I said to him after pulling from the hug. He looks at me and focuses on the wound on the left side of my head then down to my left arm.

"what happened to you?" he asks while pulling me to the couch.

"I slip" I simply answered avoiding eye contact.

"I don't think a simple slip will do that much damage on you, come on Kris you can tell me everything I am still your father in law" he said gently.

"It doesn't matter, it's irrelevant to the matter at hand" I said trying to avoid the topic.

"Kris" he said with a sigh.

"I'm okay Kristoff" I said reassuring him.

"I just--" Kristoff didn't get to finish because Katrin rushed inside and quickly kneels in front of me.

"Kris what happened?" she asks trying to hold my arm that wasn't broken but I immediately pulled away.

"Katrin I think you need to leave and give us time to talk first" Kristoff told her softly.

"But dad she's hurt and I want to know what happened" she tried to reason still kneeling in front of me.

"I know honey but I think it's best if you leave us for now. Let me handle this" he said pulling her to stand.

"Dad I'm her wife, I need to know what happened to her and I have the right to know!" she said pleading but with anger in her voice while looking at her father.

"you lost the right" I whispered lowly but she heard since she immediately looks at me with hurt evident in her eyes. I just look away.

"Kris please let's talk, let me explain please" she said trying to go near me again but Kristoff held her by the shoulder.

"Honey please just go home and rest. You need energy tomorrow since I want everyone's attention on the matter that Kris and I are going to tackle now. I'll tell you everything tomorrow, for now, go home and rest. Please honey" he pleaded with her. Katrin looks at me for anything but I just look down avoiding her stares.

"Okay, Goodnight dad" she said sounding defeated.

"Goodnight Kris" she tried getting my attention but I just keep looking down.

I heard her sigh before the door close and now Kristoff and me are finally alone.

"So what happened?" I ask before he could.