Chapter 38

Katrin's POV

Finally, Kris has returned! I miss her a whole lot! I wanted to hug her and kiss her but she was cold to me which is understandable considering what I've done. I wanted to talk to her and for her to let me explain everything but my dad wanted some space for them. 

What could possibly they need space for? Dad did tell me he'll explain tomorrow but the anticipation is killing me, I need to know now especially if it involves my family. I decided to take a short bath and wait in the living room for my father to return home.

I've been wearing Kris' pajamas ever since he left, I wanted something of her close to help me sleep and her smell calms me. I open a book to pass time but I can't seem to concentrate, I really want to know what's happening. It's now 2 o'clock in the morning and I can hear a car pulling in. The front door opens and my dad entered the house.

"Dad!" I called him as he's starting to climb the stairs.

"Kat? why are you still awake?" my dad asks as he walks to me.

"I can't sleep" I told him as he sits down next to me.

"Honey you need to rest, we are needed at the office in a few hours" he said patting my leg and staring to stand up.

"Dad wait" I said to him pulling his hand to remain sitting.

"What's wrong honey?" he ask.

"How is she?" I ask not making eye contact, I feel embarrassed.

"Who? Kris? she's okay, I brought her to the hospital for a check-up and she's staying there for the night to recuperate" he told me making me look at him with wide eyes.

"Hospital? what happened to her? I need to see her" I said starting to stand up and panicking.

"Kat, Kris is okay, the doctor said she needs some rest and they already gave her some medicines so I'm sure she's asleep now and besides visiting hours is over" my dad said holding my shoulder making me turn to him.

"Dad I miss her so much!" I said crying, my father held me close to his chest and tried consoling me.

"Pumpkin she's okay, trust me" he said rubbing my back.

"Dad what happened to her?" I ask sniffing while pulling away from him and sitting down again.

"I don't think I should tell you, you have to ask her yourself" he said looking at me sadly.

"I would ask her Dad but she seems to not like talking to me. Please, dad just tell me" I said to him pleading.

"she got into an accident running away, a car hit her. Good thing the driver brought her to the hospital" he explains smiling sadly.

"Oh my God! This is all my fault! she's suffering because of me" I said sobbing in my hands.

"Kat don't blame yourself, everything just happened wat to fast" Dad tried making me feel good.

"If I didn't cheat, if I didn't entertain Carl, if I just waited like a good wife supposes to do, none of this should have happened" I said crying more, it seems that's all I could do, cry.

"Honey we can't change anything now, it already happened and besides we have a far greater problem at hand which will affect everybody's future" Dad said all too serious.

"What's wrong dad?" I ask wiping my tears away.

My father began telling me everything, how we're currently facing a huge financial crisis and how he's been trying to control it but failed that's why he called Kris and ask for help. He told me about the FBI being involved now and is currently holding a post at the 20th floor of our building trying to catch the culprit.