fifty one.

"In the mind of my parents,
they are the victims; I am the abuser."
— Christina Enevoldsen

Taehyung POV

The feeling was like an icy fist grasping for your heart and periodically squeezing to let you know it was there, to remind you it wasn't a dream. The cold stare of disapproval despite never actually doing wrong, but never doing what was expected.

That's what it felt like to stand there and run into the path of my mother. Everything about her screamed discontent as she glanced down my frame and most likely critiqued what I was wearing and how my hair sat atop my head. I barely noticed my father behind her dominating presence.

"I just wish I had gotten enough ingredients for two more plates at dinner." I said. My brain raced to think of the words that would please my mother with every response.

She pulled a stool out from the breakfast bar and sat herself down. I could see her eyes watching his moves, tracking the way he cut up the vegetables on the wood board after Jimin rinsed them under the sink. It wasn't missed how her gaze trailed down his body unlike any flirtatious glance, only one of unhappiness. The multiple piercings in his ear and rips in his jeans exposing skin meant for no one to see was obviously frowned upon by the woman. It was a judging stare. And I hated the way she was looking at Jungkook.

"I've met Jimin before." she started, and I felt the fist tighten. "Who's this?"

Jungkook seemed aware of what was going on, he must have been listening because his actions hesitated for a split second when my mother spoke up. He knew she was referring to him, and I hoped he didn't feel bad for me never mentioning us the my parents.

It was almost too tight to breathe.

"He's a friend of ours, I introduced them." Jimin interrupted, he had the third bag of ramen open and ready to pour into the pot of boiling water.

My mother sent the small boy a pointed look, "Can't he speak for himself?"

My throat was dry and my mind was screaming at me to say it, to be the one to speak and not stand there in frozen silence. But every look at someone that should be so caring just sent me back to every day in those plain rooms, the stranger asking me questions and trying to figure out what was wrong with me.

Instead I saw him. The way he pushed the vegetables into a bowl with olive oil and more spices to season them, the movement slightly too aggressive for simply cooking, and the twitch of a muscle in his cheek as he clenched his jaw more.

"It's nice Taehyung has found some friends." my mother said since no one else decided to speak up. My father was beside her and knew better than to say anything first.

"Actually," Jungkook spoke up, he popped a piece of carrot into his mouth and looked up with a dangerous smile directed at my mother. There was a change in his expression as he then looked over at me with those warm brown eyes and soft lips I knew too well, "It's more than just that Mrs. Kim."

He chuckled softly when he spoke and I felt my stomach twist, with nervousness or adoration at the sound, I'm not sure.

My moms eyebrow raised and she crossed her legs, "Why do you say that?"

Jungkook just shrugged casually and shoved another vegetable into his mouth before wiping his hands on his jeans. My mom didn't miss the action and her frown deepened. Jimin grabbed the bowl and tossed them into pan to fry them for the noodles we would eat soon.

My stomach still felt like it was trying to exit my body and the ravenette walking closer was not helping. He smiled softly and I almost stopped breathing when he easily slipped his arm around my small waist and tugged me into his chest, "My name is Jungkook, I'm Taehyung's boyfriend."

It wasn't what I expected to happen. I felt nervous whenever I thought about telling my parents again, after everything that happened the first time. It's not very encouraging.

But the way Jungkook said it, it was different. He kept his eyes on mine when he spoke, eyes full of adoration and emotion I knew that was exclusively for me. It was meant to tell my mom, but he wasn't saying it out of spite knowing she wasn't happy with the circumstances, she wasn't happy with the absence of a woman on my arm and a ring missing on her finger. He said it because it was true, and it was the happiest thing we both had.

I wasn't wrong, my choices weren't toxic and I wasn't broken. I was happy with Jungkook and I was happy being me with the person that made me better myself. It didn't matter what my mother wanted, she had no reason to tell me who I should be with anymore.

"Taehyung, I think it's time you came home." Mrs. Kim said bluntly.

"Honey-" my father finally spoke but he was silenced with a look and manicured finger held up in his face.

The anger that coursed through her veins wasn't enough for her appearance to break. No, she was too pristine to crumble now. "It's time you started seeing your doctor again."

Jungkook's arms tightened around my waist and I could hear his breathing change. He was pissed, and the last thing I needed was an angry Kook to lose it in the kitchen.

It must have been his presence, the thing that gave me whatever that confidence was. I suddenly wasn't bending under her gaze and falling to my scraped knees as I gave up to her commands once again. I felt better than I ever have with him at my side and her fist no longer around my heart.

"No," I said. It sounded a little choked, but I managed to croak out in defiance, "It's time for us to sit and have dinner together. You're welcome to stay and get to know my boyfriend, or else you can leave."

The silence was defeaning, my eyes never breaking from my mothers as she sat there and watched. I couldn't tell if she was surprised by my defiance, but I'd like to think she was.

Jungkook didn't drop his arm from around my waist and I'm almost sure I could see a smug smile on his face. His fingertips comforting traces the curve of my waist when my mother stood from her seat and grabbed her bag, the door was opened and she was gone soon after.

I don't think I breathed that entire time until my apartment door shut and my throat no longer felt like it wanted to close in on itself. She left, but I wasn't sad. I was relieved.

Jimin seemed frozen with wide eyes still as he continued to cook and poke around the vegetables with one utensil while the other continued to stir the noodles. My dad was still sitting there on the stool where an empty seat now remained next to him. I expected him to get up and follow her out, the nature adopted from years of a dictating marriage would be the driving force.

It was surprising to see him walk into the kitchen instead and clap a hand on Jimins shoulder, "So what are you cooking up for dinner kid? It's smells amazing."

I broke out into a smile at that, it was inevitable. "You're pretty when you smile." Jungkook whispered into my ear from beside me, only spreading the grin on my face.

The ravenette pulled me closer to face him, my palms resting on his chest while our foreheads touched gently. "You're so pretty." he whispered softly, I may not have been able to catch it if I wasn't so close to him.

There weren't words to express how I was feeling right now, so I did the only thing that was on my mind. I kissed him. I closed the space distance between us and felt the softness of Jungkooks lips on mine and the taste of his strawberry chapstick on my tongue.

I'll update more this week!
it's my break so i finally have the time
i'm also working on a new taekook
story and