Going In

***Heather's POV***

It's been almost two hours since I last saw anyone. I had disappeared into my room after I left that meeting. I still couldn't get over the fact that she thinks she's better than me and doesn't want me in the field with her! For fuck's sake! I'm older than her and she still thinks she's better!

"Screw this, I don't have time to be moping around. I gotta get down there." I mumbled to myself.

I grabbed a hair tie and quickly pulled my hair back. I decided to stay in my pants and a baggy t-shirt. I headed to my door, grabbing a jacket on my way out. I shut the door behind me with a loud slam. I stomped down the hall and called for the elevator. Shortly, the doors opened. I quickly walked in and selected the lobby level. As quickly as it closed, it opened again on the floor level. I swiftly exited the elevator and met up with the only people in the lobby. Jacob and Chris.

"Ah, good to see you, Heather." Jacob greeted as he closed a crate.

"You too." I spat.

"Um, well to catch you up, Jackson, Eli, and Mads left about five minutes ago to set up a decoy van on the opposite side of the park. We'll enter all the way across the park." Jacob informed, avoiding eye contact.

"Typical of her to play hero and go in head first." I scoffed as I walked to the couch and plopped down.

"Well... I'll go pull up our van..." Jacob mumbled as he quickly left.

"Heather, princess, you can't be mad at her. She's just trying to help you." Chris said as he sat down next to me.

"Bet." I snapped, not looking at him.

"Heather." Chris said sternly as he grabbed my chin, making me look at him.

"She is your family. It's normal to fight but to hone in this much hate isn't good. I understand you're upset. I was always upset when my sister got to go out and I couldn't but very slowly I understood why she didn't want to see me hurt. I can guarantee that she only wants the same for you. So please try and relax, I'm sure that she feels bad about it, but she's looking after you. I need you to have a clear head when we go in tonight okay? Just like your sister, I don't want to see you hurt either. okay?" Chris stated as he placed his forehead on mine.

"Okay love... I guess you're right. I guess I did jump the gun on this one huh? I'm sorry for being such a sour puss. Still, love me?" I questioned as I kissed his nose.

"Always and forever." Chris whispered back as he kissed my nose.

"Okay come on you two, I've been standing here for quite some time and I didn't pay to see an R rated movie. Let's go." Jacob joked as he leaned on the wall.

"You're an ass Jacob." I joked as I stood up and walked past him.

"Awe, come on man, I was so close." I heard Chris whisper.

I quickly turned on my heal and smirked at Chris.

"If we make it out alive, you'll get closer." I stated with a wink and continued on my way.

*

* *

* * *

I sat in the driver's seat of the van as I took a back road to the checkpoint. Why was I driving when we had the best getaway driver? Well if I understood correctly, Eli didn't properly wire our radios to theirs so Jacob is now figuring it out because Chris and I are not any good in that type of situation. As I drove on the uneven dirt road I saw a sign that stated 'Employee parking: 1/4 of a mile up ahead'.

"Almost there, Jacob. Chris, get everything prepared for you two." I announced to the whole van.

"On it." Chris responded as he unbuckled himself from his seat and climbed into the back.

"How's the radio coming Jacob? I want to get a hold on my sister before she goes in." I told him while looking into the review mirror.

"Just a minute... alright... Almost there... Ah! Got it!" Jacob exclaimed as he removed the headset he was wearing.

I smiled wide as I pulled into the dirt parking lot. I turned off the lights and killed the engine. I unbuckled my self from my seat and flew into the back of the van. I slid into the seat next to Jacob. I was expecting him to tell the other group that we just got into position but he looked more upset and confused. I leaned into him trying to catch some of what he was hearing. He must've noticed what I was doing for he unplugged the headset and let the audio play against the van's walls.

"Jacob...Spotted... Trying to stay low...They're leaving... Maybe we're okay..."

Eli's voice came through the sharp static spikes of his radio. My heart rate began to spike with each word. I was worried about all of their safety but there was a little ray of hope in me that they were fine.

"What the hell? Are they--" I began to question but stopped when I heard more static coming from the radio.

"Fuck! ... Grab the guns! ... Back doors! ... NO!"

An all too familiar voice broke through the static. I felt my body heat rapidly increasing. The whole van was filled with tension as we waited for the next message to come through. As quickly as the static cut, it started again. Instead of voices cutting the sound, gunshots were heard. The sound continued for what felt like twenty years when it was only ten seconds. Then it all stopped again. We sat in silence, trying to be hopeful that something else would come through.

It didn't.

Jacob sighed and flipped off the radio. He ran his hands through his hair as I sat there on the verge of tears. What if they were just killed? What if we never saw them again? I would never get a chance to tell my sister I was sorry. I gritted my teeth in anger and stood up. I wasn't going to let my thoughts get the best of me, especially when we don't know exactly what happened.

"Get those vests on now. Load up your guns and magazines. Get out there and do what we came here to do. Whether they're gone or not, we finish the job."