VIII • Web of Lies

Comment and Vote
1085 words

§

Millie woke up later that morning with a pounding headache. She blinked and slowly sat up, rubbing her sore temples, holding back a hiss of pain. She looked around her bedroom, taking notice in the open window and the note that laid on her nightstand.

On the note in messy writing were the words,

_____________________________________

'Thanks for letting me stay la casa de Brown last night princess. I'll pay you back sometime I guess for letting me stay over. You'll probably have a hangover once you wake up. We both drank quite a lot last night, it was fun though. Just have some Advil and water and you'll be good as new. Also, check your phone, 2 people named Lilia and Sadie were spamming you.
-Finn'
___________________________________

"So I have a hangover, great," Millie muttered, reaching over and grabbing her cell phone. Finn had been right; Lilia and Sadie had been spamming her with calls and texts all night. She slowly dialled Lilia's number.

"Millie!" Lilia screamed. "We thought you died."

"Talk quietly will you, it's still early," Millie sighed, rubbing her temples. "And I'm not dead yet."

"Uh Millie, it's 11am," Sadie shouted in the background. "Are you saying that you just woke up now?"

"That's not important Sadie," Lilia chided, "Where did you go last night Mills? You scared us so bad."

Millie sighed, the events of the night before filling her mind. 'Shit I need a lie,' she thought quickly before saying, "Well you guys took so long last night in the night club that I just took a taxi home. My phone died while I was waiting for you guys." Her eyes landed on the hoodie that laid on her desk, a sigh escaping her lips as she shook her head.

"Oh," Lilia sighed. "Makes sense. Just call us next time Mills, okay?"

"Okay I will, sorry mom." Millie giggled, the simple action causing a groan of pain to escape her lips.

"Are you okay Millie?" Sadie asked, clear concern and worry in her voice.

Millie nodded though they couldn't see her. "Yeah I'm fine, just tired," she lied again, rubbing her sore temples.

"Okay..." Lilia said, clearly not sounding convinced by her answer. "Anyways, Sadie, Caleb, Gaten and I were planning on going to Starbucks if you wanted to come with us."

Millie put her phone on speaker phone and began to get dressed, "Yeah that's fine, I'll come join you guys." She picked up Finn's hoodie and placed it in her drawer. She didn't need Charlie or her father finding the article of clothing and bothering her with overprotective and annoying questions.

"Okay meet us at Starbucks in 10 minutes Mills," Sadie said, the sound of a zipper being pulled up rang out clearly in the background.

"Okay bye guys," Millie replied, hanging up the call right as Ava came running into the room, her pink sneakers lighting up as the young girl ran.

"Hi Millie." Ava giggled, her eyes bright and happy as she climbed onto Millie's bed.

"Good morning." Millie cracked a smile, taking a seat on the bed and pulling her sister into her lap.

"Charlie sent me upstairs to tell you he's taking me to the park and that mom and dad are at work and that you have the house to yourself." The young girl smiled, wrapping her arms around Millie's waist and hugging her.

"I'm going out with my friends anyways Ava." Millie pressed a kiss to the top of Ava's head. "So I'll see you later okay?"

Ava nodded and climbed off of Millie's lap, running out of her bedroom. "Love you!"

"I love you too Ava." Millie smiled, slipping on the sneakers she had borrowed from Lilia and grabbing Advil pills and a bottle of water before leaving her house.

Millie made her way down the streets of California, the hot sun beaming down on her as she walked. The memories of the night before replayed in her mind in a continuous loop. Millie found herself starting to get annoyed that her mind couldn't focus on anything else except for the boy who had hit her in the head with a door and had showed up at her window with alcohol in the middle of the night. He wasn't special, her encounter with him wasn't special. She didn't care; so why was her mind telling her otherwise?

She made her way to Starbucks and walked inside, ordering a Caramel Frappuccino. Once she received her drink, she went over to her friends and took a seat. "Hey guys." Millie smiled, taking a sip of her cold drink.

"Hey party girl." Caleb grinned, taking a sip of his coffee. "You have fun last night?"

"I'm glad you're not dead, Mills." Gaten smiled, throwing an arm around Millie's shoulders.

Lilia rolled her eyes. "Boys be nice." She pushed Gaten's arm off of Millie and replaced his arm with her own.

Millie smiled and leaned into Lilia, sipping her drink, her hangover headache still lingering. Sadie noticed, "Hey Mills are you okay? You look kind of out of it."

Millie nodded. "I'm fine Sades; I just have a bad headache..." She mentally cursed herself for lying again, but knew she couldn't tell them about what truly happened last night.

"Did you drink last night or something?" Caleb asked, wrapping an arm around Sadie. "It sounds like you might be hungover."

Lilia scoffed, "Millie isn't like that. She wouldn't drink," she looked at Millie, "right Mills?"

Millie nodded again, "Yeah of course I wouldn't drink. I'm underage and that's illegal. I'm a good kid." 'Lies, lies and more lies,' Millie thought, a sigh escaping her lips.

The truth was, she enjoyed last night. She enjoyed talking with someone who wouldn't judge her and wouldn't care if she was reckless or not. And that someone was Finn Wolfhard. Millie was growing addicted to that fun and the risk she experienced the night before by letting a boy stay at her house and sipping at the glass bottle of burning liquor. She knew she couldn't tell anyone about what she had done and her encounter with the superstar the night before. Millie placed a hand to the bump on her head and sighed; deep down she knew that this web of lies would only continue to grow.

§

So Millie is growing addicted to being bad. And it seems like she's starting to have a connection with Finn? Keep reading to find out more 😉