XXI • Inches Apart

Alright Izy_Winchester and adorereddie this chapter is for you

§

Comment and Vote ❤️
1100 words

§

Finn sat on the stage of the nightclub, tuning his guitar as other people walked past him, preparing for the show. He wanted this show to be absolutely perfect -for Millie, of course. He wanted her to enjoy the night and have some fun, attempting to spice up the boring life she had complained about the night he had snuck into her house with his alcohol. After getting his guitar tuned to perfection, he set it down backstage and went to sneak a drink from the bar, -one of new his pre-show traditions- completely breaking a rule.

"Finn," Ayla called, gesturing him over to the stage again, setting her guitar down on the wooden floor. "Put the glass down and do a sound check," she sighed.

"Alright mom." Finn rolled his eyes playfully, setting his glass of vodka down before making his way to the stage again, looking at Ayla with crossed arms. "I was trying to have a drink."

"Holy shit." Jack grinned, nudging Malcom in the ribs. "Finn actually dressed decently for once." He gestured to Finn's dark jeans and shirt, a leather-like jacket to complete the look.

"Its a miracle," Malcom replied with no emotion in his voice and a bored expression on the face. He plugged Finn's guitar in and handed it to him. "Maybe don't blast it-"

Finn smirked and played a few loud and high notes on his guitar, performing a quick solo which would've blown out someone's eardrums if they happen to have been standing too close to the speakers.

"I'm sorry Malcom, did you say something?" Finm asked. Malcom simply raised his middle finger in response.

"Someone seems extra smiley and playful," Ayla commented, standing on her toes slightly to playfully ruffle Finn's dark curls.

"Oh cut it out." Finn shook his head, running a hand through his hair. "I'm just looking forward to playing; now I'm going back to my drink," he said almost quickly, leaving his band members and returning to the bar.

Ayla sighed and turned to the other boys. "What are we going to do with him?"

Jack shrugged. "He's filming that movie soon so you'll get some peace and quiet," he offered.

"I'm still stuck with you two idiots," she said before walking off to finish the setup, leaving both boys alone.

"Oh you love us Ayla!" Malcom called, shaking his head and disappearing backstage.

Meanwhile, Finn sat at the bar, sipping his drink and checking the time every few minutes. He had everything set up to run smoothly: Millie (and her friends) would show up in 10 minutes, right when the show would start. He had made sure to leave the back door open so she (and her friends) could easily slip inside and leave through the door when needed. Finn had make sure everything from the song order to the lighting was perfection, wanting this performance to go extremely well since his "VIP guest" would be in the audience tonight.

Minutes later, Finn stood on stage, preparing to perform when his gaze drifted to her in the audience. Millie stood alongside Sadie and Lilia, a blue denim dress covering her figure. The bright lights reflected off of her eyes, making them sparkle like diamonds and the lighting made the multiple tones in her hair shift in colour. His eyes quickly locked with hers, the reality around him beginning to fade ever so slightly. She sent him a smile once their eyes had locked, nodding ever so slightly in his direction, making a smile form on his lips.

As Millie's eyes had locked with Finn's, a smile had formed on her lips. She tucked a strand of her hair back, nodding in his direction, signalling she was there and for him to pay attention. As Finn and the band began to play, she found herself nodding along to a few of the songs, even humming along to the melody after a while.

"Oh he's gorgeous," Sadie gushed, swaying along to the music.

"He's Millie's, Sades," Lilia chided, laughing softly at her friend, "but damn right." She glanced at Millie a moment, a soft smirk on her lips.

Millie was too distracted, watching the performance -more specifically, Finn. She was watching how his fingers moved expertly across the strings and how impressed she was, remembering the same thoughts running through her head the first time she had seen him perform and still considered him arrogant and obsessed with fame.

Oh how the tables had turned.

As Finn played, his eyes continued to drift back to Millie, locking eyes with her multiple times. He could feel his face burning under the hot lights as he grinned, watching Millie as he performed. She laughed softly, gently gesturing with her fingers for him to pay attention. Finn attempted to, but his eyes continued to drift back to Millie, a smile forming on both their faces when their eyes would meet.

Lilia and Sadie were too busy watching the performance to notice Millie's smiles and where her gaze was landing. Finn continued to smile and glance in Millie's direction, mainly to see her face and to see if she was genuinely enjoying the show. The show eventually came to an end. Finn sent Millie a quick text, telling her to bring her friends to the staircase on the side of the stage.

"Come on," Millie said, beginning to walk to the stairs he had told her about, gesturing for her friends to follow. As she reached the stairs, she tripped on the extension cord that ran across the walkway the connected to the speakers, falling forward towards the stairs. A pair of hands quickly grabbed her arms, keeping her upright.

Millie looked up, her eyes quickly locking with a set of dark brown ones and her breath hitching in her lungs. "Hi."

Finn slowly helped her straighten, his grip loosening on her arms but not releasing. "Hey."

Finn's eyes locked with hers, their faces only inches apart while both of their hearts began to pound in their chests. He glanced at her lips before looking at her eyes again, both almost feeling frozen in time. Her eyes stayed locked on his, the few inches between them making her heart beat faster than ever before.

Just a few inches closer...

§

She really did fall for him, huh?

Hope you enjoyed and sorry for the two weeks of no updates, I got bad writers block but I'm back.