XXXIX • Lost Puzzle Pieces

I had to make a playlist for this chapter to get in the right headspace to write it. I expect lots of interaction from the readers 😊

§

Comment and Vote

1700 words

§

"I need to tell you something," Finn said, avoiding her gaze. "We're out of time baby."

"Out of time?" Millie tilted her head slightly, giving him a look of confusion. She fiddled with the hem of her dress. "What do you mean Finnie? Out of time for what?"

He sighed at the nickname, the nickname causing a sharp pain in his chest. Finn ran his hand through his hair, clenching his jaw for a moment as he thought. Two words were all he needed to say, but his throat closed up and the two words seemed impossible to say. Finn turned his head away, looking at his hands on the picnic table. Closing his eyes a minute, he let the words fall from his lips.

"I'm leaving."

Millie looked up at him, her shoulders falling a little. "Leaving?" Finn continued to avoid her gaze as she watched him. "Why- when are you leaving?" Her voice wavered slightly as she spoke, swallowing sharply to clear the knot that had formed in her throat.

Finn could hear the pain in her voice, the pain that she was trying so desperately to hide. "I leave tomorrow," he confessed. "I have to go film that movie baby." He slowly looked up at her, his throat beginning to close up at the sight of her in distress.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner Finn?" she asked, tilting her head to the left ever so slightly which reminded Finn of a cute puppy who had been told 'no'. And that made his heart hurt.

"I couldn't... I couldn't bring myself to tell you princess." He reached over, gently brushing his fingertips over her cheek with a shaking hand. His fingertips dragged over the soft skin of her cheek, gently brushing his thumb over her cheekbone, sending a wave shivers down her spine. "I knew it wouldn't..."

"Wouldn't what?"

"Wouldn't end well." His hand fell from her cheek and onto the table. "I didn't want to hurt you."

"Hurt me?" Millie asked, her voice breaking as she spoke. "You didn't want to hurt me? Was that why you waited until you had less than 24 hours to tell me you're leaving the damn country?" Her voice became a little strained, her emotions becoming more and more visible with each word that fell from her lips.

"I was scared Millie!" He sighed and lowered his voice. "I was scared to tell you. What do you expect from me? I would rather have had one more night with you than you mad at me for a full week before I left."

Millie shook her head, crossing her arms on the table and looking out at the water. They fell into silence again, Millie avoiding his gaze. "What are we, Finn?" she asked, watching the waves crash onto the sand as a distraction from his gaze. "Can you at least tell me that?"

Her question silenced him. He truly had no clue of what to tell her. Another lie or a truth?

Finn thought a moment before confessing, "I don't know." Millie scoffed and stood up, shaking her head in frustration. Finn reached out and took her hand, halting her in place. "Millie I swear I didn't mean this. This wasn't just a game to me."

She tore her hand away from his grasp. "Then what was this Finn?" A strong breeze pushed her hair back from her face, revealing her flushed face and tear-filled eyes. "Can't you just tell me what we are? You can't-" she looked down at her feet, her tone softening a little, "you can't just leave like this."