XXIII • Night Changes & Almost Kisses

Comment and Vote ❤

1110 words

§

"You cold?" Finn asked, turning to look at Millie as they walked into the alley behind the nightclub.

Millie shook her head slightly, stopping with him at the back of the building. "No I'm okay." She smiled. "Thanks for inviting me tonight."

"No need to thank me," he replied, leaning against the building wall behind him. "By the way, you look really good tonight."

"Oh." Millie tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. "Thanks. You look nice tonight too, seems like you actually tried to do your hair."

He grinned and ran a hand through his messy curls. "I always try, but gravity is never on my side."

She giggled softly, standing on her toes her ruffle his hair. "I can tell Finnie."

He couldn't help but laugh, his eyes quickly falling to her lips. He thought a moment, deciding his next words. "Any other plans for tonight?"

Millie shook her head slightly. "No, just going home and probably sleeping, maybe use your hoodie as an extra blanket." She looked up at the sky, not noticing the red blush that covered Finn's cheekbones. Finn quickly turned his head away from her, feeling the heat burn his cheeks. Luckily, she didn't notice; her eyes were set on the few lingering stars in the sky. "I hate how I can't see them properly," she sighed.

"See what baby?" he asked after a moment, making sure the red tint and burning on his face had faded.

"The stars," Millie replied softly, her eyes locked with the few diamonds in the sky. "Too much light, too much pollution; you can't see the stars properly anymore." She held a bit of disappointment in her voice, which Finn quickly noticed.

"Hey," he said, slowly and carefully wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "How about I take you back to the Hollywood sign at night and you can properly see the stars from there?"

Millie nodded, turning her head to look at him. "I'd like that." She smiled.

He nodded, leaving his arm around her shoulders. "Baby girl, you're fucking freezing." He rubbed her bare arm gently, making slight shivers run through her body that weren't from the cold.

"You're warm," Millie sighed softly, hugging him and resting her head on his collarbone, a light blush covering her cheeks.

Finn slowly wrapped his arms around her, gently resting his cheek on the top of her head. Her arms were wrapped around her waist, her eyes slowly falling closed, not noticing how quickly Finn's heart was beating. Millie felt so perfect in Finn's arms; he never wanted to let her go.

"I like our little talks Finn," she whispered, turning her head to look up at him, a small smile forming on her lips. "I like y- talking with you."

He grinned, looking down at her, his arms wrapped around her. "I like our talks too; they remind me what a normal life should be like."

"You mean, a life out of the spotlight?"

Finn nodded slightly. "That's another reason why I like- love talking with you." He slowly pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead. "You understand and make me feel... normal."

"There's nothing abnormal about you Finnie," she replied, looking up at him, not noticing the small amount distance between their faces. "You're normal, but have a special and crazy life."

"You're special, princess," he said softly, his eyes locked on her lips.

Millie felt herself get lost in a world of just them, the street noise fading away. Her eyes fell from his, to his lips. Finn bit his lip, leaning in a little closer to her, until he could feel her long eyelashes brush against his skin like a butterfly kiss. She could feel his warm breath lightly hit her face, briefly wondering what his warm lips would feel like on hers instead.

But before the kiss could touch her lips, their peaceful world of just them was interrupted with a ringing cell phone. Millie pulled away, looking up at him with a dazed and dreamy look lingering in her eyes. His eyes locked with hers, the same look lingering in his dark eyes.

A few seconds later, she broke away from his gaze, answering her cell phone. "I have to go Finn," Millie said softly after hanging up the call. "Lilia just called me."

He nodded. "I'll see you soon baby." Millie smiled softly and gently pressed a kiss to his cheek before disappearing through the alley and to the front of the building

Finn rubbed his temples. "I almost fucking kissed her," he said to himself, staring at the sky in disbelief.

§ § §

"Okay, let me get this straight," Sadie asked during the drive home. "Finn Wolfhard almost fucking kissed you?"

"God, Sades she told you like five times," Lilia chided, looking over at Millie who seemed to be close to panicking. "Do you like him?"

"No shit if I almost kissed back Lils," Millie groaned, running a hand through her dark hair. "I don't like feelings."

Sadie reached into her purse and pulled out a five dollar bill, handing it to Lilia. "Are you going to tell him you like him Mills?"

"I can't," she closed her eyes, "he's supposed to go film soon and I don't know if he got lost in the moment or actually has feelings for someone like me. He's always been playful and sweet to me, so I'm confused." She looked at her friends, then the money in Lilia's hand. "What's with the money?"

"We may or may not have had a bet." Sadie shrugged. "Lils thought you liked him, I thought you didn't. She won the bet."

Lilia smirked, glancing back at Sadie and blowing her a kiss. "Now I'm five dollars richer, thanks to my darling Sadie."

Millie buried her head in her hands. "Finn and I were literally just talking, then he called me special, and we almost kissed. I don't get it."

"Well Mills." Lilia took Millie's hand in hers. "That's how fast the night changes."

§

I finally updated! Sorry for the long wait. I had a lot of tests and I've been celebrating my birthday for the last few weekends and working on my new book Partners in Crime - PLEASE check out the new book, it'd mean a lot