XXIX • Daydreams

Comment and Vote
1100 words

§

"Finnie, hurry up!" Millie giggles, eagerly pulling him into the hallway.

Finn grins, running a hand though his dark hair. "What are we doing in here baby?"

The bass from the music echos around them, the secluded hallway helping to block out most of the loud noise. Millie stands near the wall in a short black dress, black Converse sneakers to complete the look. Her hair falls over her shoulders perfectly, a bright smile on her lips.

"Come here." She pouts playfully, making Finn's heart skip a beat. He makes his way over to her, gently placing his hands on her hips. "Closer," she whispers, placing her hands on his chest as her voice slips into a sultry tone.

He steps closer to her, his forehead gently resting against hers. "Like this?" he asks.

She nods, leaning up on her toes to gently kiss his li-

"Earth to Finn!" 

Finn flinched, turning his head to the voice. "Yeah?"

"I asked how the apology went," Noah replied, giving Finn a look. "You spaced out though."

Finn shook his head to clear his thoughts. "I'm fine." He stood up, pouring a (non-alcoholic) drink. "It was fine. We made plans to hang out and..." He looked at Noah. "Is that a hickey?"

Noah's face flushed pink as he rubbed the back of his neck. "Hey this discussion isn't about me; it's about you and your crush."

Finn groaned in annoyance. "Stop calling it a crush, you're going to give me a migraine."

Noah laughed. "Let's talk about you then."

"Me?"

"You never zone out, dumbass," Noah said, giving Finn a look. "And you aren't drinking alcohol? What the fuck happened to you?"

"Nothing happened to me Noah." Finn rolled his eyes. "And I'm not an alcoholic."

"You're pretty damn close to being one," he muttered, giving Finn another look.

"What was that, Schnapp?"

"Nothing."

Finn knew the reason why he had zoned out minutes ago. His mind was beginning to do something that has never happened before: daydream. Sure, he dreamed at night about his performances or girls in short dresses begging for autographs, but that was before he had met Millie. Since that night in the alleyway when he had accidentally knocked her unconscious, his mind lingered around the girl he had met. Since then, his dreams had slowly stopped. And since the night before on Millie's balcony, he seemed to continuously daydream of her. But as much as he loved having Millie on his mind, he despised the distracting daydreams.

"I got to go to the studio and record some stuff," Finn said, picking his guitar case from the couch. "You want to come with me?"

Noah shrugged. "Sure." He tossed Finn the car keys, getting in the passenger's seat of the car.

Finn joined him a minute later, dropping his guitar into the backseat along with his notepad containing song lyrics. He revved the engine, pulling out of the driveway and down the road. As they stopped at a crosswalk, Finn let his mind drift off.

"Did you like the show?" Finn asks, looping an arm around Millie's waist as they walk.

Millie nods. "It was really good," she says. "You're a good performer."

Finn grins. "Why thank you baby." He leans back against the side of his car, pulling Millie flush against him. 

She looks at him with bright eyes, her eyes clearly darting to his lips then up again. "Maybe I should give you a reward for doing a good job at the show," she whispers, lightly biting her lower lip.

"Go for it," he replies. "Go-"

"Finn, go." Noah said, gesturing to the red light.

Finn quickly pressed the peddle, speeding down the road as a red tint covered his cheeks.

"Did you seriously zone out again? We're in the middle of the fucking road."

"Oh shut up." Finn sighed. In attempt to change the subject from his daydream, he said, "Are you going to tell me about that hickey or not?"

"I know what you're doing." Noah sighed. "And I'm allowed to have fun too. It's not just you with Millie." Finn stopped at a red light and gave Noah a look. "Lilia is a good kisser okay? You think one hickey is bad? I wonder how much makeup she has on her neck right now."

Finn laughed. "Impressive." Noah elbowed Finn in the side as the park rolled into the parking lot.

Both boys went inside, briefly greeting who they knew though Finn wasn't exactly paying attention. He could still feel his heart racing in his chest, a single name echoing in his head. He quietly went into the booth, glancing at his lyrics and adjusting his guitar. His eyes fell to the lyrics again, his face flushing at his notes scribbled on the side of the page. It was a list of characteristics he written about Millie which helped him write the song. More specifically, a love song.

Finn sighed and began to sing the lyrics on the page, strumming along to the song. He attempted to turn his gaze away from the glass window where he knew everyone could see his flushed face and small smiles that crosses his face between verses. He saw Noah raise an eyebrow at him through the glass, nearly making Finn stumble over his lyrics from embarrassment. Millie's name lingered in his mind as he finished the first take of the song.

Noah stepped inside as Finn set the guitar down. "What's going on with you?"

"Nothing," Finn replied, shaking his head. "Just nothing."

"Bullshit." Noah gave Finn a look. He went quiet a minute as his eyes fell to the notepad containing the song lyrics. "She's on your mind, isn't she?" he asked quietly, a light smirk on his lips.

Finn nodded slightly. "I fucking hate feelings."

"Well," Noah shrugged, "looks like your 'no falling in love rule'  is nonexistent, hm?" He gave Finn a knowing look. "Deny it, I dare you."

Finn hesitated a minute. "Shut up." He turned away, reaching into his pocket for his phone. His heart raced nervously at the thought of meeting Millie tomorrow, his eyes widening in realization that he still had plans to make.

Finn knew he was screwed. A part of him still held denial, but more fear settled into him as the days went by. He knew he would have to leave eventually, but his attachment to Millie was beginning to get worse. Attempts to distant himself from Millie had failed miserably, and his daydreams and thoughts continued to increase. 

§

Check out my book "Partners in Crime", it would mean a lot