XXXVII • Waiting Games

Comment and Vote
1700 words

§

"What are you doing?"

"I'm packing," Finn replied, taking a sip of his Starbucks coffee. "My flight is in a few days, remember?" He shook his head, his dark curls falling into his face. "An eleven hour flight. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?" With his last remark, he threw a pair of sneakers into his suitcase, letting out a sigh of annoyance.

"Finn." Noah sighed. "It's only a few months. You'll see her again. It's not like you're disappearing off the face of the earth forever."

Finn shook his head. "Yeah, well you aren't the one who has to tell a girl you're leaving. You're staying in Los Angeles, unlike me. I usually don't care about when I leave, but this time is different." Sighing in defeat, he collapsed onto the bed. His head fell into one of the pillows, letting out a muffled groan. "I don't know how I'm supposed to tell her," he mumbled into the pillow. "I saw her today and froze."

"You saw her today?" Noah asked. "When?" He took a seat at the desk chair, crossing his arms as he looked over at the mess of curls on the bed. "Also, of course it's different Finn. You're leaving a hot girl this time."

"Thanks Captain Obvious. And I saw her when I went to get coffee," he replied, sitting upright. "I ran into her at Starbucks." A smile formed on his lips as he scoffed, "Small world, huh?"

Finishing his coffee, he tossed the empty cup into the trash bin by his desk and onto the bed of crumpled papers that laid at the bottom of the bin. He let his mind wander back to Millie, not that she ever left his thoughts. Finn had never experienced a long distance relationship, nor did he want to. From the moment he had met Millie that night, a habit had formed to continuously keep his 'no falling in love'  rule lingering in his mind as a constant reminder of what was truly at stake. But that had failed almost immediately. Now in three days, he would be leaving for a minimum of three months because he had fallen too deep into a hole he couldn't climb out of. 

He knew she wouldn't be happy, but hoped she could understand. He knew she deserved the truth, the honesty that he would have to give her and that possible false closure she deserved. He could at least give her that before he left her.

"I don't want to tell her," Finn said, leaning back against the headboard and turning his head to look up at the ceiling. "She'll be upset and I'll be an asshole for suddenly leaving."

"I mean, I'm sure she already knows you're filming this movie."

"Yes, but I doubt she knows I leave in three days."

"Then quit the movie Finn." Noah sighed, shaking his head and leaning forward in his seat. "I don't know what I'm supposed to tell you. I knew you would fall in love from the minute you told me about her, but now you're screwed. You have to tell her the truth, every piece of it."

"I can't lie to her again. I can't do that to her." Finn closed his eyes a minute. "We finally got things good again too," he sighed.

Both boys sat in silence for a moment, the only noise coming from the street below. Finn let his mind wander off again, a habit he had developed recently after his daydreaming episode of Millie. The bright smile and the soft, loving eyes that locked with his at almost every glance and the understanding she had for him (though she never had a clue about what his life was really about) had made him break his rule and fall in love with someone that understood him. She had opened up a door to a world of colours that he had struggled to see before. The late drives, the car singalongs, the long conversations and the feeling of being loved had all been given to him by her; he knew he would miss those little things she had shared with him once he was gone.