XL • Airplanes & Guitar Picks

Comment and Vote
1300 words

§

Finn loaded up his last few bags into the trunk of his car, pushing his curls back from his eyes wipe a quick swipe of his hand. Reaching up, he slammed the trunk closed before leaning his shoulder again the side of the car. Resting his head against the hot metal of the car, he stared up at the sky. The gleaming sun pierced his skin, the hotter days settling upon the city. Finn pushed away from the car, walking up the driveway to the house and taking a seat on the cool front steps in the shade.

"Did you pack everything?" Noah asked, wiping his forehead and sitting next to Finn on the steps.

"Yeah, I think so." Finn looked up at the car again. "We're going to the airport in 20 minutes."

"Am I still allowed to come to your house whenever I want?" Noah asked with a grin, lightly pushing Finn's arm.

"Yes, as long as you don't steal anything or have another wild party."

"Okay, it was one time. I didn't expect the police to show up when-"

Finn managed a laugh. "Okay that's enough." He looked at the concrete, his smiling falling. "I don't want to go."

Noah sighed, looking at the street. "Yeah, I know." He looked at Finn. "You don't have much choice though."

"There must've been something I could've done differently though, besides just staying away from her," Finn confessed, leaning back on his elbow. "Things don't feel right anymore."

"Did you ask her about long-distance?"

Finn nodded. "But she said she wouldn't be able to do it. I knew it would just... hurt too much. I couldn't do that to her too." He let his eyes fall closed at the thought of her. "I'm going to miss her."

"I think you already miss her." 

Finn shook his head. "I don't want to think about her now." He stood up, sliding his phone into his jacket pocket. "I need to get to the airport."

Noah nodded. "I'll see you soon then." 

They hugged a moment before Finn got into the passenger's seat of the car. Finn leaned his head on the door of the car, staring out the window and the scenery speeding by. He closed his eyes, finally letting himself think about her. Her name alone made his heart ache. Reaching for his phone, he stared at the black screen, contemplating whether or not to send her a final text before he got on the plane.  

But he had caused enough damage for now.

Putting his phone away again, he sat in silence during the drive to the airport. As his dad parked the car at the curb, Finn retrieved his bags and made his way into the airport reluctantly. He pushed Millie out of his mind as he got his boarding pass and went through security. He took a seat at the gate, the thought of contacting Millie appearing in his mind again.

Millie. The poor girl Finn had unknowingly dragged through hell. From the moment they had met, Finn knew she was different. Her fiery attitude and the soft, angelic look in her eyes had left a mark on him, shattering his 'no falling in love' rule like a piece of glass. And because he couldn't keep his emotions in control, he left memories and the feeling of abandonment with Millie. That regret had begun to haunt him. 

He leaned back in the chair, staring out the window at the planes before glancing up at the time. 2:53pm. 7 more minutes until he boarded the plane. Millie. She could be staring at the clock, counting down the minutes. They could be watching the same time, but with Finn in the airport and Millie in her living room. So close yet so far. He imagined her cheek rested upon her hand as she watched the clock in her living room, a small frown on her perfect lips. A sigh would escape her lips as the time would change to 3:00pm. She would close her eyes and lean back in her chair, possibly cuss him out in her empty house, where no one could hear her words. Or perhaps she would remain silent and not say a word.

Millie. He would be leaving her until summer began. He wondered she would be okay. At least he would have a distraction until he came home, but he knew he would miss her. And now he would board the plane and the 3 months in Ireland would began. The regret made his chest ache as he watched the time change to 3:00pm.

"Now boarding flight M353 to Ireland, now boarding flight M353 to Ireland at gate F11."

He was out of time.

§ § §

Millie turned the corner, continuing down the sidewalk with her arms crossed. She looked at the houses as she walked, trying to find Finn's house from memory. Though she had only been there once, she hoped she could remember what the house looked like so she could find him and possibly say a final goodbye. A final goodbye to settle her heart. Walking up and down the sidewalk, she finally gave up and stopped.

"Millie?"

She turned. "Noah." She smiled a little. "Is Finn still here?"

Noah shook his head, walking down the driveway from Finn's house. "He left a little while ago Millie. He left for the airport about 45 minutes ago." He put his hands in his pockets.

Millie's shoulders fell a little. "Oh, sorry." She turned to leave, her heart breaking a little and the familiar knot forming in her throat.

"Wait, wait. He asked me to tell you something."

Millie tilted her head. "Is it another apology? Because I don't want to hear it." She had enough with his strained and hurtful apologies that left her feeling empty.

Noah shook his head. "No." He brought Millie to the house, sitting in the shade with her on the front steps. "He said to thank you for all the fun he had with you." He reached into his pocket and placed a guitar pick in Millie's palm.

She looked at the pick in her hand before slipping it into her pocket. "Thanks," she sighed. "I should go."

Noah nodded, watching as she made her way down the driveway. "He'll be back Millie."

She simply shrugged and disappeared around the corner. She reached into her pocket, gripping the guitar pick as she walked away with tears brimming in her eyes. She headed home, pushing Finn out of her mind. She felt so lost, so confused now that he was gone. Her feelings were inevitable, and now that he was gone, she felt hopeless. Finn. She imagined he was on the plane right now, listening to his music as he flew to Ireland, possibly thinking of her as she thought of him. 

He would be gone until the summer, and whether or not he even returned then was a deciding factor. She had already begun to miss him. She needed to focus on graduating high school and her prom. She needed to pretend Finn no longer existed. But some things were easier said than done and all she wanted was his arms around her in his warm embrace. But he was gone.

She reached for her phone, sending Finn a final text message before heading home with tears in her eyes and a broken heart. Thanks for the memories Finnie

She was out of time.

§ § §

As Finn boarded the airplane with regret in his head, she gripped the guitar pick and headed home with sadness in her heart. So close yet so far.