XXX • Under Starlight

Comment and Vote

1200 words

§

"Millie, your ride is here!" Ava called from the kitchen.

"I'll be there in a minute," Millie replied, turning back to her vanity mirror to check her appearance one last time. She smoothed out her short red dress, slipping on her sneakers and applying a two quick swipes of lipstick to her lips. "You got this Millie. It's not like it's a date," she muttered, locking eyes with herself in the mirror before making her way down the stairs.

Before her mother or father could see her, she slipped out the front door and towards the familiar car parked at the end of the driveway. Millie inhaled sharply, slowing opening the car door and sliding into the passenger's seat.

Finn turned to her, his eyes lighting up at the sight of her. "Hey baby," he said, giving her his signature grin.  He went silent a moment as he looked at her outfit, his heart speeding up some as he fumbled over the right words to say.  "You look beautiful."

"Th-thanks," she mumbled, her cheeks brightening to a light shade of pink. She turned her head in his direction, taking in the sight before her. "I see you tried to do your hair." She attempted to distract him from her flushed cheeks with her remark, a soft smile forming on her lips.

"Well princess, I wanted to look decent for you." Finn started the ignition, running a hand through his curls. "I mean, you look gorgeous." He glanced at her, a smile tugging at the corner of his lips.

Millie's cheeks flushed a darker shade of pink. "Stop with the compliments." She pouted playfully, leaning back in her seat comfortably.

"Aww." He grinned. "You're cute when you pout." He drove down the street, a light smirk on his face as her cheeks began to burn in the darkness. "Alright, where to Miss?"

"To the stars," she replied softly. "If that's okay." She turned to look at him as he drove.

"Of course it's okay," Finn said, his voice softening as he spoke to her. He drove for a while, occasionally sparking conversation with the girl next to him. "You should have brought a jacket baby, it might be cold where we're going."

"I'll manage." Millie shrugged, turning her gaze to the window as she watched the landscape fly by.

"Or I'll give you my jacket," Finn replied with a grin. "I'd hate for my angel to get cold." Finn's face burned in the darkness as he realized the words he had spoken. My angel, that's what he had called her. He bit his lip, gripping the steering wheel tighter as he mentally cussed at himself.

Millie kept her head turned away, not noticing the single word Finn had added. "Are we almost there?" she asked, rolling down the window and letting the wind blow her dark hair back.

"Almost," he replied. "Why? You have a hot date or something?"

"No." Millie turned to him, commenting slyly, "It's rude to keep a lady waiting, that's all."

Finn laughed lightly. "Well trust me, this is worth it." He let his fingertips brush over her hand, before turning his attention back to the road. He parked the car, making his way to her side and opening the door for her. "Careful baby," he said, taking her hand and helping her out of the car. He picked up a blanket from the backseat and laid it on the grass.

Millie slowly took a seat on the grass. "Are we by the Hollywood sign?" she asked, smoothing out her dress.

"Yep." He took a seat next to her. "Best view in Los Angeles. Well, second best actually." He gestured to Millie briefly, a grin on his face.

Millie rolled her eyes, playfully pushing Finn's arm. "Oh stop with the flirting." She laid back on the grass, looking up at the night sky.

"Hey, who said I was flirting princess?" he asked, laying next to her on the blanket. Finn watched as the light from the sky reflected in Millie's dark eyes, a soft smile forming on his face. He resisted the urge to tuck the loose strand of her dark hair back from face, not wanted to disrupt her.

"It's so pretty," she whispered, her eyes locked on the diamonds in the sky. Her lips curved into a smile, a streak of pink across her skin.

"Yeah, it's gorgeous," he replied, though his eyes weren't set on the same sight Millie was looking at.

Millie turned her head, her coffee coloured eyes locking with Finn's. "You're staring," she said, causing heat to rush to his face. 

He shook his head, meeting her dark eyes with his again. Her face was closer to Finn's than he had thought; her face so close that she could see the freckles that spread over his cheekbones and the lingering light that reflected in his eyes. He reached out, gently tucking the loose strand of her soft hair back, letting his fingertips curve along her cheekbone.

"Finn," she whispered, a shiver running through her at his angelic touch.

"Yes?" He gently cupped her cheek, his hand cool against her warm skin. A soft smile formed on his face as she leaned into his touch, gently placing her hand over his.

Millie locked eyes with him again. Slowly moving closer, she let her fingers intertwine with his. Finn could feel her warm breath touch his skin, his heart beginning to race in his chest. He let his fingertips caress her cheek gently, his eyes falling to her lips and the pink lipstick that lightly covered them.

Finn shook his head. "Fuck it."

He leaned in closer, gently letting his lips touch hers. Millie's eyes widened a moment before quickly relaxing and returning the kiss. He slowly brought a hand up to place to her waist, carefully pulling her closer and into his embrace. Millie let her hands fall to his chest as he kissed her, her stomach exploding with butterflies at the feeling.

Finn broke the kiss after a moment, looking down at Millie. "I'm sorry." He shook his head. "I shouldn't have..."

Millie went quiet as Finn rambled, interrupting him after a minute. "Finn," she said, her eyes falling closed as she spoke.

"Yeah?" He looked at her, clear nervousness running through him. Would Millie hate him? Push him away? Yell at him? But her reply surprised him.

"Fuck it, remember?" She hesitated a moment, letting her lips crash into him. The kiss had felt so good, making her head dizzy and a craving to experience that feeling again.

He cupped her face, deepening the kiss some and letting his thoughts slip away. "Y-yeah, fuck it." 

His heart raced, able to hear the loud beats in his chest. But he didn't care. He was focused on the feeling of Millie's soft lips colliding with his again and again. Millie's cheeks flushed red in the dark at his soft kisses and gentle touch, her mind racing with thoughts though none of them made sense. 

They laid under the starlight, enjoying the company of only each other as the outside world faded away. No paparazzi. No media. No flashing lights or loud music. Just two people laying in the grass, under the stars in complete silence.

§

There. 30 chapters later and some of you finally get what you wanted. The rest of this book is gonna be so much fun now *smirks*