XXXVI • Stereo Hearts

If I wrote an original story after this book was finished, would anyone read it? I really don't ship Fillie and am slightly starting to lose interest in the Stranger Things and Mileven fanfics. I have an idea for an original story and want to know if anyone would consider reading it so I can get a rough list of interests.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program

§

Comment and Vote

1400 words

§

"I don't know how to explain it Lils. I just feel so... lost." Millie let out a soft sigh, turning her head to peer out the car window after pleading for Lilia to come pick her up. "I fucking hate feelings." Fiddling with the hairtie around her wrist, she turned her head back to Lilia.

Lilia sighed, stopping at an intersection and glancing over at Millie. "I need a coffee before I hear this story again Millie. I have a migraine from your bullshit."

"Hey!" She hit Lilia's arm. "Be nice. You aren't the only one with a headache."

"Did you drink last night while making out with lover boy?" Lilia turned through the intersection. "At least tell me you were sober." When Millie didn't reply, Lilia simply sighed and turned into the Starbucks parking lot. "Making out with Finn is something I can easily get over, but that fact that you drank..."

Getting out of the car, she shot a look at Lilia. "Finn drinks a lot and so does Noah. I saw those hickeys on your neck last week Miss Buckingham so don't even try that with me." Shutting her mouth, Lilia followed Millie into the coffee shop. 

After (literally) kicking Finn out of her bedroom earlier, her mind had melted into a familiar mess of thoughts and emotions, then immediately called for Lilia to provide her with a glimpse of sanity during her melt down. Lilia rushed to Millie's rescue, picking her up and listening to her story before bringing her back to reality. Now, ordering their drinks, both girls found seats at a table in the corner of the cafe. 

Millie subconsciously pushed her hair over her shoulders, covering her neck and the layers of concealer on her skin.  "If I fall for Finn, I'll never recover," she said between eager sips of her coffee. 

Lilia gently touched her friend's hand. "I think you're too late Mills."

Millie closed her eyes. "Fuck," she muttered, leaning back in her seat. "What do I do Lilia? He leaves for filming soon."

"You talk to him Millie," Lilia said, taking a long sip of her drink. "Ask him what's going to happen between you two."

"It's not that easy." Millie ran her fingers roughly through her hair. "None of this is easy."

Millie let her eyes fall closed, her head falling into her hands. Finn Wolfhard's name felt like a chant in her head, the sole thought of him cause pure frustration and confusion to fill every fiber of her body, followed by waves of butterflies in her stomach. Finding her true feelings felt like rolling dice, each side pushing her in a different direction, different mindset and different feelings, plus shit ton of butterflies and racing heartbeats. 

To her, she was like the dice in the board game.

"Millie, you need to talk to him. Look at you," she touched Millie's cheek, "you're stressed and tired and hungover and this isn't right. You need- deserve closure."

"And what do I do if he doesn't want me once he comes home?"

"You let go."

Millie glanced at Lilia with a sad look in her eyes, a few strands of her hair falling around her face. "I don't know I've ever felt like this before. I don't think I've felt this confused, this frustrated or this... annoyed before." She sighed, setting down her empty coffee cup. "He makes me happy Lilia, and carefree. I've never really thought about someone this much before... but he's so annoying and arrogant but so kind and sweet and-" Millie paused, collecting her thoughts. "I want closure about what happens after he gets on that plane."

"Then get that closure," Lilia said. "Millie, I think you're in love, but he's giving you stress and that isn't okay. Didn't you once say that he doesn't date because he doesn't want to hurt anyone?"

"His 'no falling in love' rule," Millie mumbled. "The fucking rule..." Her eyes fell closed in realization. "Did he break his rule?"

"Wow, that coffee really helped your brain." Lilia laughed softly. "He's in love with you Millie. It's so obvious but you're too stuck in your "confusion" to realize you're in love with each other!" Her remark sent a few glances in their direction before Lilia lowered her voice. "Millie, open your eyes."

Rubbing her temples, she fiddled her cup. "He wouldn't love someone like me. I'm not worth that to him." Rising from her seat, she tossed her cup in the trash with Lilia following behind her.

"Mills, maybe things will work out."

"Look, maybe I am in love with him and maybe he's in love with me but I just want to know where we stand now," she said as she made her way out of the coffee shop. "And whatever happens ha-"

Millie's words got caught in her throat as she looked up at the guy she had bumped into. His dark eyes were concealed by sunglasses, messy curls falling over his forehead. He stood frozen in place, his eyes on Millie. Millie looked through his sunglasses, locking eyes with him through the dark glass.

"Finn?" A light blush formed on her cheekbones, burning at the tips of ears. "Uh, hi."

"Hey." Finn ran his hand through his hair, a smile forming on his face. "I swear I wasn't following you or anything. I just needed a coffee after... this morning." His eyes flickered down to her lips before looking over the familiar and gorgeous features of her face.

"No no, it's okay," she said, her eyes dilating ever so slightly as she peered into his. "I just came to get a coffee too." Slowly reaching a hand up, she brushed a single curl back, her gentle touch causing a shiver up his spine.

Smiling, he gave her a nod as his slid of finger through his belt loop absentmindedly. "Well it's nice to see you again baby." For the moment, he didn't seem to care that they were in public, which surprised Millie.

She giggled softly, lowering her voice. "I saw you a few hours ago."

He laughed lightly. "Look I should go before the stupid paparazzi find me, but I should tell you," he leaned in closer, whispering in her ear, "you look gorgeous." He pressed a chaste kiss to her cheek before slipping into the coffee shop and leaving Millie with blushing cheeks and butterflies swirling through her stomach.

Lilia stood nearby, watching with her jaw dropped. "Did I just watch you two flirting?"

"Hm?" Millie looked at Lilia, coming back to reality. "No, o-of course you didn't." She quickly made her way to the car, sliding into the seat and slamming her door shut. "I really am the dice," Millie muttered.

The familiar chain of confusion and butterflies flooded her system, her heart racing. His soft voice whispering the compliment made her feel loved, but the fact that Finn would be getting on a plane in a week bothered her more than her mind could comprehend. She needed her closure. She deserved it. She deserved to know whether her time with him was a game, or if he really had felt something and would come home to her with the same kind eyes, messy curls, addictive laughter and signature grin she had grown to adore.

§

This book has less than 10 chapters left. I could extend it more, but all good things must come to an end. I do have a set ending, but I'm not sure exactly how many chapters it will take for the book to be done. But we are hitting the end.

Are there any book ideas from any fandom or genre you would like to see from me? I have an original story idea and possibly a sequel to "The Secret She's Kept" but I'm not sure and would love feedback.