XIX • Defensive

Comment and Vote ❤️
1200 words

§

Finn sat on his bed, his guitar in his arms and a pad of paper covered in writing laying on his lap. He held his black guitar pick between his teeth as he tuned his guitar and read over the chords he had written on his pad of paper. Finn had begun to write a song, a love song more specifically. He had sat in bed the night before (after his encounter with Millie), letting his mind wander through ideas before finally beginning to write lyrics and the music of a new song.

He slowly began to sing his lyrics, scrumming his written chords as he sang. Noah suddenly burst into the room, making Finn jump. "Holy shit Noah, you're going to give me a heart attack one day."

Noah shrugged and sat down on the edge of the bed. "I'll cover the hospital bill, don't worry." He grinned. "But we need to talk."

"About?" Finn asked, ignoring his friend's first comment as he wrote and changed some of the words on his pad of paper.

"About the fact that you're writing a god damn love song, Wolfhard."

Finn scoffed, rolling his eyes. "Who says I'm writing a love song? Even if I was, what's the big deal exactly?"

Noah sighed and began reading over the lyrics written on the pad, "She's got these coffee eyes, and perfect smile, her sweet perfume intoxicating me for hours. Every note, every word, anything I could ever say, could never reflect how lost I get every time I see her face."

(AN: I wrote those lyrics myself by the way and I'm proud)

Finn sighed, "Okay so what? Yeah I'm writing a love song; not a big deal. Am I not allowed to? Is there a problem with that?" He didn't look up from his notepad as he continued to edit the chords and lyrics.

"Damn you're defensive." Noah grinned. "Now tell me, who's the song about?"

Finn raised an eyebrow and looked up at Noah. "Since when do my songs have to be about someone?"

"Every songwriter has an inspiration for their song." Noah shrugged, knowing his friend better than he knew himself. "Are you sure the song isn't about a certain girl you hit in the head with a door?"

Finn groaned and laid his guitar in his lap. "Did Jaeden seriously tell you about that?" He rolled his eyes. "It was an accident for fuck's sake. I didn't mean to hit her, I mean, why would I? I even took her to my house after she passed out."

"God damn, chill puppy." Noah shook his head, a grin on his face. "Put your claws away."

Finn rolled his eyes and threw his pencil at Noah, who swiftly dodged it. "Are you done bothering me Noah? I'm trying to write."

"You're trying to write about that girl." Noah smirked, a plan forming in his head. "What was her name again? Miley? Macey? Or is her name not worth remembering?"

"Her name is Millie," Finn stated, sounding a little defensive. "Now stop being annoying."

"Sorry Finnie I can't," Noah replied, the smirk plastered on his face. "I was born without a zip on my mouth."

"Did you seriously just quote a Little Mix song?" Finn rolled his eyes. "Don't call me that nickname. That nickname is reserved for-"

"For Millie?" Noah asked teasingly.

"Yes actually, so stop being annoying," Finn said sternly.

"I'll stop being annoying once you admit you have a crush on her." Noah smiled. "Come on Finn. Feelings are nice, they don't bite."

"I do not have a crush on Millie." Finn got up and placed his guitar back on the metal stand in his bedroom. "And you can't be scared of something that isn't real."

"Something that isn't real?" Noah asked before laughing. "Oh, you mean your feelings for Madison."

"Her name is Millie, and stop being a prick. Why do you keep bringing her up anyways?"

"To see how defensive you get Wolfhard," a new voice said. Jack Grazer walked into the room, a grin on his face. "Noah is right though." He paused and shook his head. "I can't believe I just said Noah Schnapp was right," he shuddered.

"There's a first time for everything." Noah turned to Finn. "Including Finn admitting his feelings for a girl he's writing a fucking love song about."

"Love song?" Jack whined, reaching for the pad of paper. "Show me, show me, show me!"

Finn quickly pulled the papers away. "Okay cut it out, both of you; you're like spoiled children on a sugar high."

"That's an accurate description of Grazer over here." Noah smirked, receiving a punch in the arm from Jack.

"I ran into Finn's girl on the street once, she's hella pretty." Jack grinned, looking at Finn for his reaction. "She's fucking gorgeous."

Finn sighed, running a hand through his curls. "If you said anything wrong or bad to her, I swear to god-"

Jack raised his hands. "No of course not Finn. I'd never say anything bad to your girlfriend."

Finn clenched his jaw in annoyance. "I am so tempted to pull a move from the movie 'Coraline', but instead stitching buttons into your eyes, I'll stitch your mouths shut permanently."

"Why are you so defensive Finn?" Jack grinned, sharing looking with Noah.

Finn rolled his eyes and with that, he left the room.

Noah grinned and turned to Jack. "He didn't deny that she was his girlfriend."

Finn sighed and went down the stairs, sitting at the bottom steps. He ran his hand through his hair as he mind fell into thought about a certain girl that never seemed to leave his head. Even Finn was starting to question himself and his thoughts.

Yes, he was writing a love song about a certain girl with coffee coloured eyes and dark hair who had a fiery attitude he had admired since the night he met her; though he wouldn't admit it. It was clear to Noah, Jack and possibly his other friends that Finn had a new fascination and admiration for the girl he had hit with a door weeks ago. And now the realization that Millie was possibly something more than a friend began to settle into his head.

As he thought about the lyrics he had written on the page, he was starting to realize Millie possibly and accidentally meant much more to him than he had thought.

§

I know I didn't fill in the cliffhanger from last chapter. *smirks* But I thought I'd make you guys wait just a little longer because it will be an important chapter. I'll fill in that cliffhanger next chapter, Promise. Hope you enjoyed.