XXVII • Clarity

Comment and Vote

1150 words

§

"Hey guys, I think we have a problem. I think Finn.exe has stopped working," Jaeden called out, sitting on the bed next to Finn the following morning after the interview.

Finn sat still on his bed with a light pout on his lips, his guitar laying across his lap and an untouched cup of coffee steaming on the nightstand. His eyes were focused on his cellphone, a tired look on his face and his messy curls falling around his face. Noah and Jack followed Jaeden's voice up the stairs, shutting the bedroom door behind them.

"What do you mean Finn.exe has stopped working? He's not a fucking computer," Noah said, looking at his best friend with an arched eyebrow. "Why is he pouting?"

"Is he high?" Jack asked blatantly, waving his hand in front of Finn's face. "Hurry up and load, Finn."

Without looking up, Finn sharply punched Jack in the stomach. He doubled over and groaned in pain, a hand clutching his stomach. Finn gave Jack a cold look, clear exhaustion in his eyes. His face held no expression, or a "resting bitch face" as Jack called it. Noah raised an eyebrow, stepping past Jack who was doubled over, groaning and complaining. Finn turned his gaze to Jaeden.

"Don't punch me, don't punch me!" Jaeden whined, stepping away from Finn. "Who the hell hurt you?"

Finally Finn spoke, "Your 'amazing', 'brilliant' and not to mention 'foolproof' plan backfired." He glanced at Jack before proceeding to punch Jaeden in the stomach as well. He pointed at Jack and Jaeden, "Fuck you and fuck you." He looked over at Noah and shrugged, "You're fine. But why would you let me take advice from Twiddledee and Twiddledumb?" Finn gestured to Jack and Jaeden.

Jaeden groaned and leaned against the wall in pain. "I should have seen that coming."

Finn cracked his knuckles. "Next time, I'll break your face in with my fist so shut it."

"Okay okay, calm down puppy," Noah interrupted. "I tried to tell you not to listen but you did anyways. And what happened?

Finn ran his hand through his hair. "I felt guilty and texted her. She's been online but she's ignoring me now. And it's their fault!" He gestured to Jack and Jaeden once more.

Jack whistled. "Damn that really did backfire." He sat on the bed, making sure to leave space between himself and Finn, seeming to have recovered from Finn's punch.

Finn shot Jack a glare before muttering quietly, "I don't know what to do."

Finn missed Millie. A lot. He almost craved her attention and her stability; it made him feel better, and human. Since the interview and discreetly admitting who his perfect girl was, his mind had been set on Millie and the thoughts of her that he usually ignored. He wished to see her gorgeous smile in real life instead of the flashbacks and memories of it in his head. He held a feeling of longing in his chest, a longing for Millie.

"Hey Finn?" Jack asked.

"What?"

"Random question, but during your interview, what was that smile about? Because the fans are talking about it none stop."

"What do you look for in a girl?"

Finn could feel his heartbeat quicken at the question, making him somewhat confused. He wiped his suddenly sweaty palms on his jeans. "Pardon me?" He tried not to stutter, the image of the perfect girl coming to mind.

"What qualities do you look for in a girl?" the woman asked again, the audience laughing lightly.

"Well," he glanced around, averting his gaze just passed the woman to avoid meeting her eyes, "I like a girl who's honest and doesn't sugarcoat or that kind of thing. Also a girl who isn't boring and is fiery and can fight back. A girl who's sweet and kind and has a gorgeous smile. Someone who keeps me level-headed and is intelligent."

Finn slowly grinned as he talked, an image filling his mind. He remembered Millie's bright smile during his show, remembering the way their eyes would continuously lock during the performance. He remembered how comfortable she felt in his arms during their hugs and could almost imagine the scent of her perfume. Most of all, he remembered how close her lips had been to his, her warm breath lightly grazing his cold skin that night.

He snapped back to reality, letting the grin slip from his face as he straightened. "Yeah, a girl like that."

The audience let out another 'ooohh' at Finn's words. He could feel his face turning hot and begin to burn as he met the woman's face again. He cleared his throat, letting a normal smile rest on his lips though his heart was beating rapidly and one name lingered in his thoughts. Millie.

"You want to know what the smile was about?" Finn asked, clear annoyance laced in his voice. "I'll fucking show you." He reached for his phone, swiping through it a moment before tossing it to Noah.

Noah took the phone, swiping through the photos. Jack and Jaeden peered over at the phone. Noah had begun to swipe through a locked folder containing photos of Finn and Millie, many of the photos with Finn's arm around Millie or Millie cuddled up in Finn's arms. Others were of Finn and Millie drinking at the bar, backstage at a show, them posing by the Hollywood sign and much more.

Noah looked over at Finn. "Oh you're so whipped."

Jacked frowned. "What's all this?" He looked at Finn then at the phone again.

"I think I fucked up," Finn began. "You both gave me shit advice and I followed it even after I said she wouldn't give in. Now she won't talk to me and I have to film soon and I miss her, goddammit!"

Everyone went silent for a moment, everyone's eyes on Finn. Finn looked down in shock, rubbing the back of neck. "Wow," Jaeden finally spoke.

"Shut up," Finn replied quietly. He took his cellphone from Noah, placing it in his pocket. He went silent a moment. "I need a shot."

"It's 10am!" Jaeden called after him.

"I have an headache." Finn made a fresh cup of coffee and added a shot of vodka to the cup.

As the coffee brewed, he checked his phone once more before setting it down. Finn needed an apology plan, and he needed one fast; he needed to see Millie again. He let his eyes fall closed, his feelings beginning to scare him more and more. To Finn, Millie was an addiction and he was hooked and it was unhealthy in his opinion. He sighed in annoyance as he felt his pulse begin to quicken at the thought of Millie.

Finn had a problem to fix, and he was clueless how to.

§

Damn I really did make Finn a naive idiot in this book. Oh well lol. Hope you enjoyed