Chapter 19: Answers

The next day, we filed a Missing Persons to the police. The police even joked about the incident that Alfred just went soul-searching. And of course, we didn't let their little joke slide. We stood up to our case and then some time later, they finally gave it a go signal and listed Alfred Meyer down in their documents. I caught a glimpse and never realized that Alfred was only one of the hundreds that are currently missing. Well, at least, they listed his name down.

We went back to Yhan's house. We were in the kitchen and both Kim and I were sitting at the table and were waiting for Yhan. She kept calling loved ones and friends if they had seen Alfred but their answer was still no. 

Yhan placed down the phone. " I honestly don't know what to do anymore." she said. 

Kim stood up from the table and went near to Yhan.

" No." Yhan muttered. " Please." she continued. 

There was silence in the kitchen. Three friends all engulfed in this little drama. Three friends who were only having sleepovers. Three friends who got trapped in this little shithole. 

" We were supposed to get married next year." she placed one hand on her eyes. She pursed her lips. " But I think that's not going to happen now, is it?" she continued. 

My heart was heavy when she said that. The silence grew. She's suffering and Kim and I couldn't do anything to help a friend. 

" I... " Yhan broke the silence. " I need to lay my head for a moment." she continued. 

Kim and I watched her go up the stairs. I sighed heavily. Kim placed her arms across her chest. 

" What about Alfred?" 

I looked at Kim. Her red hair was down, dark circles around her eyes. She was wearing a grey sweater, blue jeans and red sneakers. The beautiful light that she usually emits was gone and I think I know why. 

" I saw him in my dream." I quickly answered. " Alfred..." I touched my throat. "... he saved me." I continued. 

" Please, start from the beginning. What did you see in your dream?" I know Kim believes me after what happened to the two of us the other day.

" I was this woman again. I always wear this old white dress. I knew I was her. There's always this storm and this man... This man that keeps killing me by choking me to death." I tried my best to explain everything. Kim was listening intently.

" The strange thing is, this man told me right in the face that I know what they want. The same thing what..." I hesitated to continue but I did. "... THAT lady told me."

Kim leaned over the kitchen's counter and so I continued. 

" I saw Alfred. He was waving his hands to call out to me. But I couldn't hear him. Not that I couldn't but there was no voice coming out from his mouth. Everything was so surreal.

He threw a rock near me just so that I could reach it. I grabbed it and hit the man on the head. He let go of my throat. I panicked and looked quickly at Alfred."

The mere scene of it. I still remember it clearly. His mouth. 

" He told me to... run." I continued. I looked at Kim. And she was baffled as I am. 

" Run from what?" she asked.

" I don't know." I paused. " But why did I dream of him?"

Kim looked down. Her arms still across her chest. There was silence in return. And from that moment on, I realized that...

... we have questions that need some answers.